Read: Reddit’s revenge story of the year

I’m with you 100% on that. My house is “eclectic” to put it charitably, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’m certain that if I lived in one of these cookie cutter HOA neighborhoods I’d get shot down on half of what I do as “lowering property values.” For example, I’m sure some busybody would have told me to take down the swing set I built for my kids in our front yard. Instead, I live on a wonderful city block full of WW II era houses and not an HOA in sight. We get along great with our neighbors, and no one gets on a power trip because no one has any power. And of course, said swing set is a favorite for all the neighborhood kids. Also, based on a couple recent sales, I’m pretty sure everyone’s property values are doing just fine.

5 Likes

Over/under 50% of this story actually happened?

While the IRS dedicating an apparent task force of criminal investigators and field agents over a potentially unreported $100k over the course of several years sounds satisfying, it might not be the most realistic.

4 Likes

His numbers and dates line up, based on quick math. 36 homes, 13 years from build time to start of story, houses paying 300/yr.

Not all homes paying, but paying for a few years past 2013. Could be fake of course, but it passes the sniff test.

2 Likes

Those numbers are what makes it seem more than a little suspect, imo. The IRS is sending out field agents to seize documents and computers, and conducting interviews with neighbors over, at most, just a little over $10k / year in unreported income? All done in lightning speed, by IRS standards?

I don’t have a ton of experience with the IRS, thankfully, but this doesn’t exactly ring true on a few levels.

It could be true I guess. I’m just a bit jaded about just-so stories that seem to add a few less than believable layers onto a more realistic but less cinematic story. But who knows, maybe this one is the straight dope. I dunno.

3 Likes

I got the feeling they looked into all of her income and found something shady going on with her real estate transactions, too. He mentioned there were some irregularities there when going after her license. :woman_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes

FTFY!

7 Likes

Could be worse.

4 Likes

Is this a “revenge” story or a “justice” story.

I guess it can be considered revenge because the only reason she got caught was that he wanted revenge for her mistreating his wife that one time (making her move the pile of wood).

Everything else seems like “justice” to me, in that she was committing crimes that he and others helped uncover.

Justice != Revenge
(the death penalty is an example of this…and hope stating such doesn’t derail the thread)

3 Likes

For me it counts as both. Likely revenge for everyone else in the neighborhood (and his wife) but overall its justice considering that most of what the redditor did was report the facts to relevant agencies and have them take everything the last mile. That being said she did try to come after him with a frivolous lawsuit later on…

8 Likes

Yeah, I had a totally inoffensive and useful HOA at my last house. It was a development with some green space that needed maintenance. For $180 a year the HOA handled the grass cutting and paid for electric for some lighting in the subdivision. They did throw a neighborhood party once or twice a year before COVID. They even waived the fee one year because they had enough in the fund. The only thing they got rigid about was the garbage cans. Garbage cans were not to be left out for any length of time, supposedly we could have them out from 6:00 the night before pickup to 6:00 the night of pickup. They did give leeway on it, so it wasn’t a big deal. Everyone had a little privacy panel at the side of their house, or put their cans in the garage and everyone was happy.

2 Likes

That was such a long read, I had to have a bathroom break in there! At times I felt sorry for the Harpy, but … she brought everything down on herself, and kept doubling down and doubling down.

3 Likes

Ooooh; who would star in it?

3 Likes

Oh i’m definitely lousy at casting imaginary projects though would love to see what other people would come up with! Would depend on the tone of the movie i suppose. It could be done as a comedy but i can see it as a more serious movie like Uncut Gems, or something in between the two genres.

Either way if i’m going to cast someone i think that can do either genre i’ll say Seth Rogen for the main lead. For the nightmare of a neighbor… hmm… depends… Sarah Silverman would be great at being that super unlikeable Karen type (no shade, i love her).

2 Likes

How about Kristin Chenoweth? Just like in the story here, it’s more creepy when the person seems nice and likeable at first, only to turn out to be the opposite. :innocent: :imp:

6 Likes

Hollywood’s Go-To for these types of roles seems to be Cate Blanchett.

I do love seeing Chenoweth’s performances though!

3 Likes

I vote for Melissa McCarthy if it’s going to be a comedy, or even a black humor dramedy.

6 Likes

Jennifer Coolidge (aka Stifler’s mom)

3 Likes

How about Laura Dern?

5 Likes

well, I thought the internet had decided that “Taylor the Latte boy” was super creepy. And she did play the villainous-from-the-start Mildred Layton in Schmigadoon

While I have no reason to doubt this story’s veracity, because he gave enough info to track down things and surely it’d have been exposed by now, I also kind of started looking at reddit’s famous story telling subreddits differently when someone told me that almost all their best fiction is on there.

2 Likes