Woman threatens to sue her neighbor for having a Biden sign on lawn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/12/woman-threatens-to-sue-her-neighbor-for-having-a-biden-sign-on-lawn.html

9 Likes

I wonder if that woman knows the video has been shared on social media and probably seen by a few dozen lawyers.

37 Likes

Why do most threat to sue come from people who claim to be against frivolous lawsuits?

42 Likes

She probably has to go through the HOA or Residential Association process before she can sue, which likely involves filing a complaint, waiting for the HOA/RA to respond with a warning or three, then threats to fine, then - oh, look, election’s over.

47 Likes

Apparently, it’s section five point twenty. Good to know, I’d been looking in five point fourteen all morning and couldn’t figure out what the Hell she was talking about.

28 Likes

Yet she’s not wearing a mask. Rules only apply against other peoples freedom.

33 Likes

“Snowflake Threatens To Sue The Sun”

26 Likes

A few dozen lawyers who will notice that the woman is objecting to “this Harris Biden shit”, not merely to the presence of a sign in the yard.

22 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

25 Likes

What a baby.

5 Likes

Do you think she notices the fact she has Trump’s face stitched over her own?

13 Likes

HOA’s are evil, unAmerican entities but almost unavoidable nowadays. Most HOA bylaws have restrictions over the placement of signs but do allow for some political signage during elections.

Court rulings have said there are no 1st Amendment protections for homeowners since being part of an HOA is a “contract” (albeit an involuntary one) and that restricting signs is legally permitted, most HOAs rightfully don’t want the legal entanglement so they try just to regulate it instead of outright banning them.

23 Likes

Her Real Estate Business has been hurt by this sign?
So she is running a business out of her home?
That’s against HOA section two point ten.

25 Likes

Nope, other way around. The Violator is going to lose the hypothetical business from the lovely neighbor at the door. Which is a shame, she seems like she would be delightful to work with.

18 Likes

my voice through the speaker “OK asshole! you have a nice day now.”

6 Likes

Here in Denver there are laws which protect the right of homeowners from HOAs and allow political signs to be put up 45 days before an election.

11 Likes

The important issue here is that nobody should ever buy a home with an HOA. These organizations were invented to further housing segregation, and to this day they are petty and unaccountable tyrannies that harm the human right to housing and the country’s ability to enforce Fair Housing laws.

35 Likes

I can see why trump calls his supporters suckers and losers.

17 Likes

And @anon81034786: I know that CA HOAs can’t ban political signage; it’s been through litigation. (Altough they may be able to regulate the size of the sign and the time limit.) Check for CA Civil Code Section 4710.

10 Likes

My 'hood doesn’t have an HOA, but there’s some nonsense in the deed, outlawing clotheslines, fences and un-matching window treatments. Soon after moving in, I put up a clothesline and a fence. No lawsuits yet, but I haven’t tempted fate with the drapes.

20 Likes