Woman threatens to sue her neighbor for having a Biden sign on lawn

Our good friend just bought a house in Michigan sight-unseen. This is precisely why I would never do the same.

2 Likes

Everyone is against frivolous lawsuits (with some edge case exceptions for some people like unscrupulous lawyers). But when my rights not to have to see those damn signs are violated… well by jimmity I’ma gonna sue!

The point here is I am sure she THINKS it is a righteous cause and not an abuse of the courts.

2 Likes

“Forty-sebben tenny!”

8 Likes

My neighborhood has some pretty absurd restrictions. I remember something about prohibiting tire retreading equipment.

An actual snowflake would stand a better chance.

3 Likes

“I was gonna have you sell my house!”. Well then, if you’re moving away, why do you give a shit about what’s on a lawn? Oh, because you’re a psycho Trump Cult member? Oh, yeah, that.

13 Likes

Thanks for moving away from calling her “Karen”, Mark.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Most HOA bylaws have restrictions over the placement of signs but do allow for some political signage during elections.

My HOA allows for political signs within 60 days of elections. I believe this is in line with state law code that says that political signs on personal property are a form a speech and cannot be restricted.

6 Likes

This video sounds like it’s from Florida, where the HOAs are on Dexamethasone.

5 Likes

There are some exceptions. I have an HOA, but the only thing it does is collect $180 a year so they can pay a company to mow the common areas. The only restriction is that your garbage cans can’t be visible from the street. It is the most diverse neighborhood I have ever lived in, partly because it’s on the side of town where a lot of immigrants settled and the housing prices are reasonable for the area. When I walk my dog, I see my white neighbors, my Hispanic neighbors, the lady in the Sari and the 2 other families that speak with an Indian accent, my Asian neighbors and the women in hijabs and chadors i.e. full length and head cover, face visible. It’s a really great neighborhood.

I’m sure most HOAs are for discrimination and have unreasonable rules, mine exists because there was some land that didn’t have the room to build a house on, but still needed upkeep. I’m really lucky.

8 Likes

I live in a non-HOA suburb. Put up two rather tall and spindly ham radio antennas. “Hey, those for teevee?” “Nope. Radio! Can talk to South Africa with these.” “Cool!”

The week I moved in, the next door neighbour said “Just so we’re clear, I can’t see through your chain link fence and you can’t see through mine.”

Been here a decade. Couldn’t be happier.

11 Likes

Almost certainly state election laws override anything the HOA has in place about signs.

8 Likes

Do they exist anywhere outside USA? If not, how can they be unAmerican?

5 Likes

In Condominiums an HOA has a much different connotation.

They’re the people maintaining the common areas, concierge, and building infrastructure for everything “past the paint” of an individual unit. Kind of a requirement to avoid a building becoming something out of JG Ballard’s “High Rise”.

4 Likes

It’s not frivolous if you’re #stigginit to #libturds. Are you even on the Trump Train?

3 Likes

This is a very good point that would have more likes if it was higher up (or a response to something higher up). It’s “unamerican” in the sense that it’s anti-freedom, as if the actual place America represented the ideal of “freedom” in any real, practical sense.

4 Likes

My response would have been. “Since you have the bylaws in your hand, do you see what it says at section 11.03? It says ‘Eat shit, Zelda!’”

7 Likes

same as here in Nevada, although i don’t think we have a 45-day window stipulation. a friend of mine wanted to put up a sign but her HOA tried to tell her that she couldn’t per her agreement, and she thought that was bullshit, so we did some digging and sure enough, the HOA has no right to stop her from putting up a sign (or several), provided it falls within some basic guidelines (not too big, not several for one candidate/issue, etc.) – AND, here’s the kicker, if their contract has language that tries to force home owners to comply, they have to re-write their contracts so they are in compliance. she sent a copy of the law to her HOA along with her notice that she was putting up a sign for Biden, and she hasn’t heard anything back from them, haha.

11 Likes

There’s probably an historical reason for that. Some time in the past, a homeowner wanted to save money and retread their own tires with a machine they bought on craigslist. Maybe.

5 Likes