Homeowner threatened with fines for Black Lives Matter sign hanging inside her home

Originally published at: Homeowner threatened with fines for Black Lives Matter sign hanging inside her home | Boing Boing

16 Likes

My house

51 Likes

Maybe they’d be cool with it if you put the sign in your yard, but rig it with an ignition system and a big red button so that passers by can set it aflame. (to be replaced at the next convenience)

Then you could set up a webcam to capture it all and put it online.

12 Likes

HOAs should be abolished.

70 Likes

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Yes GIF by E!

17 Likes

Time to call the ACLU.

https://www.campaigntrailyardsigns.com/washington-yard-sign-regulations/

IANAL but if the HOA’s argument is that the sign is political, then:

Private property owners, however, can post signs on their property, including along the highway, so long as they remove them within ten days of the election.

For those not strictly in Washington state but still wondering:

29 Likes

How many of the HOA board members have a crucifix visible through their windows? Or a religious or political bumper sticker on their vehicle? I have a feeling that the answers to both those questions are numbers greater than 0.

55 Likes

Given our experience running an HOA and dealing with non-payments, I can tell you the HOA has virtually no power.

So the first step is to ignore them. They cannot kick you off your own property. If they fine you, ignore the fine (continue to pay your regular dues/fees/taxes, of course.) If they make noise about not paying the fine, let them yap but your response is ‘I will not have free speech stifled in my own home, I will not pay your fine, and you will find yourself in court if you contact me again regarding this matter. Send further correspondence to me c/o my attorneys, Cheatham and Howe.’ If they send a collection agency after you, tell the agency you are not going to pay, and to never contact you again.

They’ll give you the stink eye as you walk to your mailbox, but that’s it. They cannot deny you the services you’re paying for. They’re nothing more than a paper tiger, drawn by a not-exceptionally-talented 3-year-old.

We have deadbeats in our association who don’t even pay their dues, and there’s no getting rid of them. We can’t even legally withhold the services that are included in their dues! The most we can do is file a lien on their property, and hope to collect if and when they sell.

(IANAL. Get a real lawyer to give you legitimate legal advice.)

35 Likes

well, what we have here is a racist neighborhood.

wondering how they would feel about a halloween decoration/scene in your front yard where a bunch of ghosts made out of white sheets with pointy hoods are all on fire?

15 Likes

38 Likes

How about hat racks visible from (or through) the front door?

4 Likes

Quit peeping into people’s houses, weirdos.

50 Likes

They need to update this with one finger pointing on the right side.

5 Likes

Her room there seem like good place to test umbrellas.

18 Likes

Or if she’s wants something a bit more risque then put up some Tom of Finland posters. :smiling_imp:

19 Likes

Hmmmm…

Needless to say, NSFW.

16 Likes

How you can tell hoa boards will be first against the wall when the revolution comes without, etc.

2 Likes

I thought political speech was protected speech and the HOA could kick rocks regardless of how it was implemented. I thought this whole thing has been through the courts before.

19 Likes

You thought…correctly.

21 Likes

If they signed an agreement and then broke the agreement then follow the rules you agreed to.

Two things though, the rules must me enforced for everyone and if they changed the rules and you didn’t agree to the changes then screw 'em.

If the rules are not enforceable then put the signs up.

As far as claiming you can’t have something inside your house that can be seen from outside, screw 'em again.

Edsel Ford II (Henry’s great grandson) is currently having a dispute with his wealthy community over a Catholic Church’s anti abortion display.

This is near where I live, not too near though because I’m a poor person.

His argument is the church is getting a free pass with a display that would not be allowed on a residential lot.

He’s threatening putting up a display of equal size on his residential lot.

Nice seeing rich people duke it out.

12 Likes