New HOA to define and enforce "Patriotism"

Originally published at: New HOA to define and enforce "Patriotism" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I have no doubt that many of the residents, especially the fascists who made this rule, will end up disrespecting the flag in all kinds of ways.

12 Likes

Barf…I heard about this story yesterday on NPR. While the developer claims he’s just really patriotic and has nothing to do with far-right politics, it’s very clear he knows exactly the audience this is catered to.

Themed retirement communities have become popular. They range from golf resorts to arts enclaves. Fankhauser thought his theme could work, too. He contributed to President Trump’s 2020 campaign but says 1776 is not political. Ida Aldred, however, says she knows exactly to whom 1776 is marketed - conservatives like her.

15 Likes

The US Flag has been hijacked by MAGA like Manson hijacked Helter Skelter.

I’d love to take it back but it seems like its covered in shit now. Maybe when liberal leaning communities hoist the flag in unison.

Until then that neighborhood in NC is just another Villages in Florida.

22 Likes

Covered in something else after Tr*mp got through with it

12 Likes

When displays of patriotism become mandatory they also become meaningless. Kind of like how telling one’s spouse “I love you” every morning would be far less special if doing so was required by law.

21 Likes

how did i know that is is exactly how brock fankhauser would look? right down to the star spangled side piece. i wish people like this would just crawl back into the woodwork.

15 Likes

This should make for some good r/maliciouscompliance stories on Reddit successors.

18 Likes

If I lived in that HOA, I would probably fly my flag with the stars down, and use their objections as the reason that their organization (and country) are in such disarray.

10 Likes

Who here has read Diamond Age / A Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer? I mean, I assume everyone, it’s BoingBoing.

Anyway, this is how you get enclaves of similar people opting into self-sealing culture bubbles.

16 Likes

Holy heck, I was literally a few days ago thinking about the ramifications of someone building a development with an HOA designed to push right-wing agendas and here we are. They’ll do it to try and get around actual local codes and state laws. Terrible, horrible idea. Time to bring HOA’s to a halt.

Yeah, if they didn’t SPECIFICALLY state “the current 50 star flag,” then you can be sure I’ll happily fly my historic 33 star flag, which is a replica of the one that flew over Fort Sumter at the start and end of the civil war. Now THAT’S patriotism. :wink:

22 Likes

I for one cannot wait to see how quickly this entire concept self-destructs. Will it collapse from finger-pointing and more-patriotic-than-thou witch hunts? Or will the HOA board embezzle all the funds and fuck off to the Bahamas first? Place your bets!

25 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

12 Likes

For starters, make sure that they enforce every detail.

16 Likes

Snow Crash also had franculate burbclaves, with their own laws and justice. e.g. The Clink ™

8 Likes

My money is on a petty, neighborly disagreement escalating to a full-on shooting war within six months.

20 Likes

Nah. An armed society is a polite society.

10 Likes

I’ve been saying for years that we need to “reclaim the flag”. I actually quilted my own flag (I’m not a quilter but my gf is and she directed my efforts) so as not to buy a Chinese made flag. Nearby was my anti-trump fag and my car with anti-trump bumper stickers so, hopefully, no one got the wrong idea.

Flag still goes up in the spring, but anti-trump stuff is gone after the election.

8 Likes

Nobody said you couldn’t have a polite shooting war. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

How long before they try to build a wall around the neighborhood and get a neighboring HOA to pay for it?

11 Likes