Read the authors that inspired Gary Gygax and the origins of D&D in Appendix N.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/10/read-the-authors-that-inspired-gary-gygax-and-the-origins-of-dd-in-appendix-n.html

5 Likes

Fritz Leiber,

Wooo. Shout out to Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

8 Likes

The book includes “The Jewels in the Forest.”

4 Likes

I read a quite a few stories purely because they were recommended in Appendix N. I think Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser has probably the most stereotypical D&D feel to it. And Poul Anderson’s The High Crusade (I think that was in A. N?) offered some rather unique ways to settle mixing futuristic technology and medieval society that would play well in any table top game.

2 Likes

Done and done! My 16 year old son never showed much interest in D&D, but my 12 year old daughter loves it. This will be under the tree this year.

1 Like

Nah I don’t need any more gaming books.

(clicks on link)

“Add to Bag”

2 Likes

Done, but their ecommerce provider rejected the first three credit cards I tried. Finally my Capital One Visa worked.

Shame that no one reads Dunsany. “The Charwoman’s Shadow” is really good.

1 Like

Glad Jack Vance is one of the authors. He’s practically the Grandfather of Magic in D&D.

4 Likes

Finally listened to the Dying Earth stories on audio book a couple years back. Vance’s descriptions of the manipulation of magic is so much more evocative than anything the rulesets ever created.

4 Likes

It’s the spell names that get me. Lugwiler’s Dismal Itch. The Spell of Forlorn Encystment (“which constricts the subject in a pore some forty-five miles below the surface of the earth”). Marvellous stuff.

3 Likes

Full list of Authors and titles:

1 Like

Chewing on Eldritch Roots is a material component of Eldritch Wizardry.

2 Likes

My inner childhood geek begins to stir.

1 Like

OK so this article is kind of flawed. A book on this subject with this name has already been published.

Appendix N Hardcover – June 28, 2017
by [Jeffro Johnson] (Author)

• ISBN-10 : 9527065186
  • ISBN-13 : 978-9527065181
  • Publisher : Castalia House (June 28, 2017)

As soon as I read the article I typed the book title into Amazon to preorder and found the older one. So um yes someone had thought about doing this and had done it. :slight_smile:

On the Fritz Leiber part I agree more people should read his works!

That book is a critical analysis of the 43 works listed in Appendix N. Peter B’s book is a sizeable selection of the work itself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.