Read "The Truth," a 1964 SF story by Stanislaw Lem never before published in English

Originally published at: Read "The Truth," a 1964 SF story by Stanislaw Lem never before published in English | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Lem was a legitimate genius of speculative fiction and one the gems of the modern world.

15 Likes

I refuse to read any more stories from “Stanislaw Lem”. This so-called “author” is merely part of an intricate conspiracy to undermine the public’s belief in the veracity of the adventures of Ijon Tichy.

5 Likes

I thought I knew golden age sci-fi. Then I read the Cyberiad. It’s so good, so funny, and so utterly different from what else was being written at that time.

10 Likes

I tried to read this but couldn’t handle it.

3 Likes

“… my only illness is my existence …”

Nicely put.

2 Likes

“Lem’s protagonist for this tale is a physicist now held in an asylum because of his belief in the consciousness of stars,”

Hm. Frank Herbert’s novel Whipping Star (1970) had sentient stars known as Calebans. Quite worth the read for Herbert fans.

3 Likes

Stapledon’s ‘Star Maker’ from 1937 also included conscious stars.

3 Likes

I hope the translator was up to the task-several people have failed at doing Lem justice in English. Bit I will be getting this just because New Lem!

This I did not know! Found it on a SUNY website for my future read. Thx!

You’re Philip K. Dick masquerading as ‘ugh’ - come on admit it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.