Reading Rainbow's LeVar Burton weighs in on the decision to discontinue 6 Dr. Seuss books

He was known for not being faithful. He cheated on his first wife (with Majel Barrett) and then cheated on Majel, too.

Also, back to the topic at hand… LeVar Burton…

phaserstolove

19 Likes

I think that’s if you only assume that the only works ever written were by white men who were blinkered by their own privileged position in society.

10 Likes

Absolutely. It just always struck me that the original pilot he pitched for the show had women not only wearing pants but also occupying positions of authority such as Pike’s first officer. On Kirk’s ship, not so much.

12 Likes

It’s true! I do think the network wanted less of that, while Gene wanted more egalitarian roles for women. He did manage to get what he wanted on race, so maybe it was a trade off with the network?

I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds, which is the Pike Enterprise. I liked Rebecca Romaine as no. 1!

Back on topic!

captain planet stitcher GIF by LeVar Burton

:hugs:

21 Likes

I can understand these books being taken out of publication. ebay banning their sale, on the other hand, seems quite over the top to me.

4 Likes

I love Jim Henson as much as anyone else, but he still made some problematic muppet skits, especially in the early years. The other three are perfect as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes

Speaking of Levar Burton’s powers, I always wondered if the could use that VISOR to pull a “Cyclops from X-Men” if he really wanted to.

18 Likes

20 Likes

I have met Mr.Burton a couple of times professionally. He is the real deal. A genuinely nice person.

27 Likes

You assume they actually care about the books. They don’t - they only care about performing outrage over yet another “extremist liberal” offense.

It’s the same with people flipping their shit about the new She-Ra cartoon or the boobs of a video game character becoming one size smaller, or Star Wars or Star Trek or MCU getting female and/or POC leads, etc. I guarantee you that even in fandoms as huge as Star Wars or Star Trek or the MCU, a very sizeable number of people loudly complaining about the woke agenda wouldn’t actually give a damn about the actual shows, were it not for the excellent opportunity to loudly whine about the liberal/homosexual/woke/[insert buzzword here] agendas ruining Entertainment As We Know It.

13 Likes

In other words, not the Hate Media Outrage Machine.

7 Likes

This is one of the few times where eBay is in the right. These books aren’t rare, and people are trying to profit off of this exploitation.

Since the “ban” (which isn’t even a ban so much as “we aren’t publishing these anymore”) people have been successfully selling these for hundreds of dollars through the platform and eBay is trying to avoid this stink.

Which is precisely why Disney has added content warnings on some episodes of The Muppet Show. Of course the Hate Media Outrage Machine has also successfully spun this into “the Muppets are cancelled by Biden and the Democrats!”

12 Likes

Gene’s wife got to wear pants at any rate. The uniform in the pilot made a lot more sense didn’t it? It’s funny that she ended up being the cougar stereotype in TNG.

ETA: I guess they weren’t married yet when making that episode although they were apparently romantically involved.

4 Likes

The other prominent woman crew member is wearing pants as well.

4 Likes

There was a period when Gene was secretly dating Majel Barett and Nichelle Nichols separately and then brought them together to break the news by suggesting that they’d make a great thruple. The women weren’t having it and that’s when Nichols decided she was out. I suspect that may be at least one of the reasons she considered leaving the show until Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. advised her that her status as a role model was too important to abandon.

And the woman in the skirt wasn’t a member of the crew, she was wearing an intentionally provocative outfit because the alien inhabitants of Talos IV were trying to entice Captain Pike to mate with her.

13 Likes

But Majel Barett decided it was okay enough to stay? Was Gene committed to monoamory after that?

1 Like

On skirts in TOS: Roddenberry seemed to be on the side of having the Enterprise crew all wearing trousers - it appears the mandate to put the supporting female cast members in skirts came from above, and there are women in the first couple of episodes wearing trousers (and sometimes with commander’s rank insignia on their shirts), but all women on the ship were in skirts after the first 6 episodes.

Which isn’t to say he was opposed to the revealing outfits William Ware Theiss was designing for the guest cast - he was a legendary horndog even late in life. Apparently early in the production of TNG he’d go on towards people about the sex lives of the Ferengi at length, and, you know, hired William Ware Theiss as a wardrobe designer again…

7 Likes

Roddenberry had some level of romantic relationship with his secretary from 1975 up until his death, and Barrett was apparently okay with it.

3 Likes

I can’t remember if it was BoingBoing or elsewhere, but just recently I read something to the effect that they pushed boundaries with the costumes (ie sexy costumes for the ladies) to distract the censors from where they pushed boundaries with the political messages.

2 Likes

Lwaxana certainly seemed like she would be.

2 Likes