Reading Rainbow's LeVar Burton weighs in on the decision to discontinue 6 Dr. Seuss books

Star Trek Thumbs Up GIF

6 Likes

The same people who are loosing their shit over the publisher taking some Dr Suess books with racist depictions out of publication are the same people who were loosing their shit about Dr Suess stories such as the Sneeches and the Lorax because they were “liberal indoctrination”

20 Likes

Holy fucksocks; how did I never clock that this is the same actress?

25 Likes

This is the bizarre part of anti-“Cancel Culture” spin. The right, particularly the religious right, is so strongly associated in my mind with book and media bannings. The whole concept of the Good Christian Fun podcast (great pod!) is a look inside the media that was developed to “replace” “secular” media. I’ve seen the clapback in a few places but it’s bizarre that this obvious hypocrisy hasn’t gotten more traction. It should’ve shut down the faux-first-amendment sanctimony on day one.

3 Likes

You’re not the first; she changed her name and auditioned in a blonde wig to get the role of Nurse Chapel when her character “Number One” was canned after the original pilot. She also voiced the computers in most of the Star Trek TV series and movies along with several characters in the animated series. I think she may have had more roles than any other actor in the franchise.

21 Likes

Still, I’m usually better at recognizing actors than that.

Indeed, after facepalming myself, I googled her; turns out, she was involved in every installment of the franchise in some capacity or another, right up until her death in 2008 - hence the reason she’s often referred to as the First Lady of Star Trek.

TIL…

26 Likes

She even visited other sci-fi universes from time to time…

babylon-5

24 Likes

Babylon 5, I’m guessing?

(I never watched it, or BSG. Don’t judge me; I was busy matriculating through undergrad at the time of the former, and I’d just given birth at the time of the latter.)

14 Likes

Yep, Babylon 5. It was notable at the time because a lot of nerds were getting really upset by accusations that Babylon 5 had ripped of Deep Space Nine or vice-versa. Kind of like how George Takei became an emissary of peace between Trekkies and Star Wars fans.

10 Likes

OMG, I can hear him saying that in my head…

sad donald glover GIF by Crave

While still married to his first wife at the time, maybe?

Hell no. He cheated on her quite a bit.

Or she put up with it, like many, many other women back in the day, who were raised to constantly defer to men and to expect them to run around on them.

Well, that’s a character. Barrett was a real human being who likely struggled with her relationship with her husband.

She’s also the voice of the computer, from TNG on. Which @brainspore covered!

12 Likes

Who else could, though?

It’s really interesting that ST introduced the world to so many amazing people; LeVar Burton, Nichelle Nichols, Patrick Stewart, George Takei, Leonard Nimoy, Majel Barrett and countless others.

Right?

Aside from the impact of ST, LeVar Burton helped shape my childhood; I still watched Reading Rainbow even when I was too old for it.

Also, I must:

15 Likes

In all fairness in season 1 of TNG Gene wanted some of the men in short skirts too.

12 Likes

Simon Pegg got roles in both franchises too but I think George was the first.

11 Likes

By your command…

20 Likes

I really wish they’d committed to that.

9 Likes

I’ll be borrowing that, if it’s ok with you.

6 Likes

Sure, just remember who you originally got it from.

:wink:

7 Likes

She also appeared – in a blink-an-you-miss-it way – in Star Trek: Discovery.

3 Likes

I assume there was some archival material involved for that one considering she passed away in 2008.

4 Likes

Every time this topic comes up, I think of former Philly DA Lynne Abraham. She set a dress code prohibiting women from wearing pants for years, because of her belief that they were unprofessional:

https://www.law.com/almID/900005397542/?slreturn=20210207220625

10 Likes