Real Stuff: The Hot Squat

Was wondering the same thing.

1 Like

I was hoping Carrot Top…

Haha just keep them coming lol :dancers:

He has posted a few times shortly after the introduction of the new commenting system but I haven´t seen any posts from him in weeks. Either he´s on an extended leave or he quit. Although I found his moderating decisions arbitrary at times I kind of miss him. He had something witty to say about a lot of things.

2 Likes

This comic’s presence would be more understandable if there weren’t literally hundreds* of cartoonists currently working who better fit the boing-boing’s “wonderful things” mandate.

*And that’s just the lady cartoonists.

4 Likes

Antinous has left. I miss him too. I think BB misses him, frankly.

5 Likes

I certainly do. :.-(

4 Likes

Well crap. Stuck with Eichhorn comics and no Antinous.

2 Likes

I think that particular strip made it really clear to me that whatever the intended meta-commentary is, the delivery is too blunt to communicate it, and it’s fair game to view and criticise the work on it’s face value.

1 Like

While most of the Real Stuff comics make me uncomfortable, they at least usually tell something of a story. This one is just “This one time, these girls came in to one of the hundreds upon hundreds of bars I seemed to work at, and said they would sit on my face if I gave them a discount on cover charge (and really? they only had 5 dollars on them?). But then they didn’t. The end.”

3 Likes

I personally find this comic embarrassing; I can’t really say with confidence that it’s “misogynistic”, but the main character (if not the author) is certainly juvenile. I’ve heard enough from those that think of “finding someone to have sex with” as “getting some pussy” or the like. I’m sure that was much more common, and acceptable, in past decades, but isn’t that the kind of thinking that now gets one routinely labeled as a “douchebag”? If there’s a meta-level to this comic, I have failed to locate it and would appreciate it if someone more perceptive would elucidate.

Is it really courageous to say (or post) something inflammatory or offensive simply because you know people will object to it? That’s a low standard of courage, particularly on the Internet.

3 Likes

The Real Life comics strike me as satirical. In this case, ridiculing Robert Crumb’s self-loathing schtick and his pretensions to social realism. Maybe the problem is that, twenty years after they were originally published, the Real Life strip, the comics it vaguely satirizes, and the contemporary context, are all now a distant blur.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’m confused, to be honest. The comic is being received negatively for sexism yet if this were a Robert Crumb strip from the 70s, let’s say a famous one like the one Mr. Natural ‘beheads’ Devil Girl, it would probably be received with a little more positively.

Lo-brow stuff is generally laced pretty heavy with sexual innuendo. In this case it’s almost as light as it gets. And it depicts a scenario that plays itself out across the States every Friday night. Do certain women actually do this? Yes, sorry they do. And we men, some of us are dogs enough to follow along…

5 Likes

The comic is offensive and out of place to the current fan base of Boing Boing. The comic is also portraying EXACTLY what it’s like to work the door at any club or bar. It’s called real life. Your life? Perhaps not. Eichhorn’s life? Certainly as he chose to remember it. As a 39 year old single male who works as a bartender and a doorman, I can relate to his comics. I can also see how many here would and could not. If you don’t like it…don’t read it.

7 Likes

Come sit with me on a Friday night at the door to my bar.

2 Likes

1000x yes. Seriously.

1 Like

I didn´t say I found it courageous, and I don´t. Like I clearly stated, it´s a low point in writing for the series and really quite boring to me. The comment sections for this series on the other hand I often find mildly entertaining and sometimes thought-provoking.

1 Like

Sorry, I might have read too much into your original comment then. Though as much as I like thought-provoking comment threads, I’d prefer the reason for this particular one just didn’t exist.

1 Like

I don’t see what the big deal is. Yes, he is crude, but it’s not sexist to enjoy sex.

The supposedly “gay-bashing” episode (“Het!”) from a while back here on BB had me scratching my head-- I think people were making assumptions based on their own tastes and beliefs. Whether what was portrayed is exactly what happened we can never know, but taken at face value he was just trying to have a good time and they didnt want him there.

Just seems like satire to me. Although this is the only one I looked at.