Real Stuff: "Three in a Bed," part 2

[Permalink]

1 Like

I know BB gets a lot of criticism for carrying this series. Itā€™s certainly troubled in a bunch of ways.

But itā€™s also real. The writing, the stories, and the art is all from the heart of lived experience.

I donā€™t have to like it or agree with it to respect the authentic place this comes from.

2 Likes

Troubled how?

A trawl through the comments here would give you some background. Still miss @Antinous. :frowning:

Iā€™d say they were real as recalled. Weā€™ve all got a few tales that might not stand up to intense scrutiny but they are real for us. Iā€™m still not sure about that serial killer thing, but benefit of doubt and all that.

The comics can be a definite change of tone for BB and thatā€™s not always a bad thing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

oh huh. I can see how the ā€˜hetā€™ comic would rub a lot of boingers the wrong way.

So the dude that beat up the gay dude outside of the gay bar in ā€˜hetā€™ and the nerd with the mustache in this story are supposed to be the same person?

Itā€™s autobiographical, so yeah. The same bloke, different artists.

Thanks for the historical links, they add some useful background.

I, for one, donā€™t miss @Antinous. Iā€™d describe why, but @GlyphGryph already did so perfectly.

5 Likes

This is my favorite feature on BoingBoing. I hope mr. Eichhorn will compile and release his output soon. Like r. Crumb, brutal honesty isnā€™t always comfortable but it sure is interesting.

Real Stuff is in print in a few different formats - thereā€™s the original Fantagraphics comic series, a TPB, and He put out another small collection via Kickstarter a year or so ago. All great reads!

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ I had forgotten about this, and havenā€™t been on BoingBoing very often since the redesign, so I didnā€™t realize that my userscript from a while back had stopped working. And unfortunately, userscripts.org is dead, so I canā€™t update it there.

Hereā€™s an updated Remove Real Stuff script for the redesigned front page (see here for the original):

// ==UserScript==
// @name   Remove Real Stuff posts
// @match  http://*boingboing.net/*
// @version 0.2
// @copyright none
// @require  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

$(ā€œdiv.feature:contains(ā€˜Real Stuff:ā€™)ā€).remove();

Same here. The very title ā€œmoderatorā€ suggests someone who should be ending or minimizing drama, not starting or amplifying it. (See also: Teresa Nielsen-Hayden, who was a much nicer person than Antinous but nonetheless got caught up in a rather unfortunate incident.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.