Real "Top Gun" school fines pilots $5 for quoting film

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/03/real-top-gun-school-fines-pilots-5-for-quoting-film.html

4 Likes

That’s, frankly, incredibly restrained.

14 Likes

At a former workplace we had a rule that anybody starting a sentence with “All ya gotta do is…” got punched in the throat.

Totally different reasons behind it, and also a bit tougher to actually enforce. Yet I do still feel that it was just as necessary.

9 Likes

Professionalism, and good leadership at the top. That sounds nice.

14 Likes

What’s the punishment for singing “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” at Karaoke Night?

19 Likes

Being banned from Karaoke Night.

15 Likes

But can they do this?

xLfX5

14 Likes

So no buzzing the tower either I take it

15 Likes

Training to win dogfights is so 20th century. What equal opponent will the brave pilots of the US AIr Force fight in such a many equal conflict?

Russians in outdated planes? The Chinese Air Force? What country, specifically, poses a threat to the fighter pilots of the US?

(Answer - whoever figures out that swarms of drones are cheaper and more effective sooner).

FIghter planes are fast on their way to being an artifact of a particular time in military history, like sailing ships. We’ll just spend a few more hundreds of billions on them before we know for sure.

8 Likes

I feel the need… the need for greed.

5 Likes

Answer - whoever figures out that swarms of drones are cheaper and more effective sooner

That would also be the US military

5 Likes

Real “Top Gun” school fines pilots $5 for quoting film

Better than flying cargo planes full of ruber dog shit out of Hong Kong.

12 Likes

Whisper Passes” only.

3 Likes

Fixed it for you.

7 Likes

So the trick is to mangle the quote enough to no longer be a quote but still be recognizable as one…

3 Likes

Oh yeah, we’re already out dueling these guys with the latest generation of AI. There’s likely to only be one or two more generation of these folks before they’re all replaced.

2 Likes

Is that truly a punishment?

3 Likes

Drones think faster and are not subject to G forces in the way pilots are.

Air power is great for blowing shit up ‘over there’ but will eventually hit a wall when ‘there’ figures out how to blow up whatever comes in the air.

If those piles of wreckage cost tens or hundreds of millions apiece, it won’t take long before they stop getting sent. Like battleships, they will probably be around for quite awhile after, but they won’t be much more than porkbarrel projects (as they are mostly now).

6 Likes

Depends. If you have a need, a need to sing.

4 Likes

That looks like the Blue Angel’s winter home in El Centro, CA. My son was stationed there for a couple of years on the flight line and has pics of him sitting in one of the cockpits. It’s always fun to watch them practice.

We lived for a number of years near the Air Force Academy and every year would get to see the Thunderbirds practicing for graduation - not to mention the annual flotilla of fighters, bombers and aircraft flyovers for the Air Force/Navy football games. I’ve never experienced anything quite like a B2 rattling the windows at 500 feet directly overhead - nothing ‘stealth’ about that bad boy, I can tell you…

5 Likes