Record companies sue Charter because providing high-speed internet contributes to piracy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/26/pox-on-both-houses.html

3 Likes

Charter has touted how its service enables subscribers to download and upload large amounts of content at “blazing-fast Internet speeds.” Charter has told existing and prospective customers that its high-speed service enables subscribers to “download just about anything instantly,” and subscribers have the ability to “download 8 songs in 3 seconds.” Charter has further told subscribers that its Internet service “has the speed you need for everything you do online.”

Ars does a good job of pointing this out, but I can’t help but reiterate that this marketing copy sounds just like every other ISP’s competitive claims. The music labels’ complaint reads like a first year economics student who just figured out how capitalism works.

11 Likes

Lawyers are paid extra for creativity. Doesn’t matter if they win or lose.

7 Likes

hmm, yes, but important reminder - it’s the frivolous class-action lawsuits by consumers that are holding these mighty titans of industry from ascending into a god state. /s

13 Likes

Charter sues back for Record Companies producing a product that promotes piracy.

20 Likes

The U.S. government has built an extensive interstate highway system which allows people to go places - including unauthorized locations - as efficiently as possible. As I own a location which can be accessed by these public roadways by individuals whom I do not authorize, the U.S. government must either give me veto power over who can and cannot use interstate highways or else pay me for every person who might potentially use these roads to gain unauthorized access to my location. /s

30 Likes

MWait wait… hold up… is anyone actually “downloading” music anymore… like in large quantities that would require fast internet… don’t most kids these days just listen to Spotify or YouTube or other streaming services? This isn’t 1999 anymore. Napster went under 19 years ago… even movies… I feel like people are too lazy to illegally download movies. They just watch the office again on Netflix.

13 Likes

The only music I download anymore is when I get a download code with a vinyl record. Ha.

4 Likes

Come and watch the spectacle! Titanic behemoths, each armed with a straw attempt to drink the others dry! Thrills! Chills! Fallout! Bring the kids!

4 Likes

That would be a much stronger case - just show the correlation between CD prices and copying.

2 Likes

It seems to me the complaint isn’t that Charter offers high speed internet, just that they have just as poor customer service with the big media conglomerates as they do with their customers.

1 Like

Obviously, efficiency is contrary to the Copyright Clause.

Accordingly, in its consumer marketing material, including material directed to Colorado customers, Charter has touted how its service enables subscribers to download and upload large amounts of content at “blazing-fast Internet speeds.”

Manifestly, if people like me could only download Sheherazad in 30 seconds the world would then be safe for record labels.

OK, that’s not true. I run Jupyter simulations over the Net and frankly, the performance on celestial mechanics sucks ammonia. If it were any faster, I probably wouldn’t be playing one of my Glenn Miller CDs while I waited – although it’s not clear what harm this does the plaintiffs.

I am totally down with Charter charging a flat price if that’s all the Court awards.

1 Like

We should ban roads because roads lead to drunk driving.

2 Likes

Used to download a lot of music.

Nowadays i don’t at all. I found an online radio service that does my favourite music 24/7… If i want music, it’s there. I happily pay the monthly sub for ad-free

Used to download a lot of movies, nowadays if i want to watch something it’s generally available streaming… I rarely download anything nowadays…

Used to download a lot of games, nowadays they’re generally easier to buy from something like steam or the other online stores, i rarely pirate games now*

*(Though in this one, with epic’s forced platform exclusivity campaign, i’m backsliding to piracy again for some games…)

4 Likes

The splintering of offerings will just lead back to piracy. You used to just need Steam, but now you need Besthesda, Origin, Epic Games, and Steam.

You used to just need Netflix and Hulu, but now you need Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Go, CBS All Access, etc.

Classic songs randomly disappear from Spotify in a stupid royalties fights.

5 Likes

I love it! Thieves suing thieves, and both pointing at their customers as the REAL thieves.

Just the way the founders intended.

3 Likes

The spirit of your comment is spot on, but the digital reality is sadly different. Unfortunately, we gave the keys to the kingdom to for-profit industry yet continued to pretend that it’s like a public utility. So, while it should be a public utility, it is in fact not so. Naturally, then, we end up with this sort of business vs. business bullshit that we shouldn’t, in a more sane world, even have to consider a possibility.

1 Like

ha ha !! if it’s worth listening to , not on the over the air radio , and not on vinyl ,
then it is at the open mic nite at the coffee shop !!
or , maybe as a readily copy-able cd at the public library -

Can the record companies be sued to have their access to the internet revoked as they used it to rip off artists or customers?

3 Likes

I wish I could give Reddit Platinum to a comment here.

2 Likes