Recycling center recovers $23,000 in cash that man accidentally tossed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/05/recycling-center-recovers-23.html

5 Likes

Only $320 was missing.

I would love to hear the internal ethical debate that determined that taking exactly $320 was the correct course of action.

13 Likes

Only $320 was missing.

That’s a good day in my book.

14 Likes

Maybe. When I daw the figure, my first thought was the lid had opened and some money fell out. It is a small amount compared to $23000 so it might fall into “incidental.losses” or whatever. Most stores allow the cashiers some level of loss, assuming it’s accidental miscounting rather than theft.

I would never have more than a few hundred dollars in cash around. But even then I almost have nightmares about losing that much. I’ve never lost more than $20, but the fear is there. The guy who lost this must have been terrified.

7 Likes

Two months ago I “recycled” my car keys in with the glass and I felt like the stupidest shit on planet fuck.

Now at least I feel the second-stupidest.

6 Likes

He should spend some of that recovered money on a neurologist.

I have a story for that. Let me see if I can condense it.

• Safeway parking lot on a Saturday mid-winter in Colorado Springs
  • Notice money in bushes, drifting across the parking lot, and down the side hill where some kids are sledding.
  • Gather all of it I can, and give it to the store manager along with my phone number.
  • Get a call from a distraught woman saying $100 was missing, it was her rent money and she dropped the envelope in the parking lot.
  • Tell her I gave every bill I found to the manager, give her his name.
  • She doesn’t believe me, accused me of keeping it; I’m bugged about it for years after.
13 Likes

Well. Whomever took it is 320 dollars richer, and unlikely to be pursued for theft.

Low risk, low reward. Smart thieving.

1 Like

I’m not sure I believe that someone who forgot where his money was and threw it in the trash knows how much was there with any precision. Definitely not within $20.

7 Likes

“Life savings” = $23,000. Jesus, that is pathetic.

That sucks: no good deed goes unpunished. But why did you leave your phone number with the store manager?

1 Like

He asked for it, and I gave it to him.

3 Likes

Assuming he didn’t even open the shoebox (or it wouldn’t have ended up in the donation pile), I wonder if the $320 went missing before that fateful day. I’d have wondered if a family member, friend or guest might have helped themselves at one time or another.

3 Likes

:thinking: Well, isn’t that convenient?

1 Like

Yep. I held on to her $100 for 15 years because I knew, one day, I would need it to buy a pair of headphones.

12 Likes

And who puts a heavy shoe box in the recycling without opening it.

There is more to this story…

1 Like

Footage of the man’s nephew asking him about the misplaced money:

8 Likes

You don’t know how old he is or what line of work he’s in. No need to be nasty. Saving anything at all is an accomplishment these days considering 40% of Americans can’t cover a $400 emergency expense.

13 Likes

My great grandfather stored his life savings in a shoebox. Of course there was a fire…

2 Likes

(cued)
5 Likes