Money spills out of Brink's truck on highway, causing cars to crash as people stop to grab the cash

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/money-spills-out-of-brinks-t.html

1 Like

I figured folks from Jersey were close enough to know about Joey Coyle, and avoid making the same mistake:

7 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know how wise it was for some of them to be filming themselves stealing cash.

14 Likes

Picking up litter, no ? Keep 'Murica Clean !

It amazes me how quickly and easily civilization breaks down.

11 Likes

It’s amazing to me that people think it wasn’t broken right up until the very moment that an armored car spills money.

16 Likes

New Jersey: The ORIGINAL Florida/Alabama/West Virginia. EST. 1787

1 Like

Hey, it’s a matter of public safety. Leaving money all over a highway could cause an accident.

4 Likes

People are desperate–that’s not me blaming them, that is sympathy. Considering how much difference even $500 could make to someone struggling to get through the month, I understand this reaction completely. What’s interesting here is how many people are doing it, and how relatively little each person is probably taking–they have to be thinking there’s no way it will ALL be tracked down. Depends on whether or not there are traffic cameras or a cop car nearby to capture license plates.

Though the person filming while grabbing money with their other hand is… pretty idiotic.

9 Likes

And of course if you pick up $500 and then get $1500 of damage to your car, you haven’t helped yourself much…

9 Likes

A good point also.

Edit: The brain plays a very quick game of risk/reward, no?

5 Likes

Meanwhile, in New Zealand:

“The recipients of the gifts turned the money over to police, fearing it might be stolen.”

11 Likes

Three days.

By the estimate of some, all it would take is 3 days of life without our usual ‘safety nets’ of communication, transportation, emergency services and basic systems of governance for the facade to shatter.

6 Likes

Alternative title: “Millennials Discover Laziest Possible Way to Make a Buck”

1 Like

Conversely this is why you should keep a ski mask in your car. Even if the authorities go after you with cell footage, they need to prove YOU were driving the car.

2 Likes

They’re cleaning up litter. Brinks should be fined for the damage to our environment, and under salvage law the finders should keep the cash.

9 Likes

Brinks to cash picker uppers: Identify yourselves!

Cash picker uppers: I am Spartacus!

2 Likes

This has to be like, a metaphor or something.

1 Like

Makes sense. Look at how quickly people become unhinged after a natural disaster. People walking around with guns looking for reasons to shoot, etc.

1 Like

Doesn’t look very lazy to me; running through traffic to scrape up bills, and the following paranoia that you’d get caught afterward.

But as a millennial who makes less then 2k a month, you can bet I’d be very tempted…

3 Likes