Recycling center recovers $23,000 in cash that man accidentally tossed

I’m not sure I believe that someone who forgot where his money was and threw it in the trash knows how much was there with any precision. Definitely not within $20.

7 Likes

“Life savings” = $23,000. Jesus, that is pathetic.

That sucks: no good deed goes unpunished. But why did you leave your phone number with the store manager?

1 Like

He asked for it, and I gave it to him.

3 Likes

Assuming he didn’t even open the shoebox (or it wouldn’t have ended up in the donation pile), I wonder if the $320 went missing before that fateful day. I’d have wondered if a family member, friend or guest might have helped themselves at one time or another.

3 Likes

:thinking: Well, isn’t that convenient?

1 Like

Yep. I held on to her $100 for 15 years because I knew, one day, I would need it to buy a pair of headphones.

12 Likes

And who puts a heavy shoe box in the recycling without opening it.

There is more to this story…

1 Like

Footage of the man’s nephew asking him about the misplaced money:

8 Likes

You don’t know how old he is or what line of work he’s in. No need to be nasty. Saving anything at all is an accomplishment these days considering 40% of Americans can’t cover a $400 emergency expense.

13 Likes

My great grandfather stored his life savings in a shoebox. Of course there was a fire…

2 Likes

(cued)
5 Likes

Well, it’s about (checks interest bearing accounts, 401k and portfolio) $23k more than mine. Give or take.

8 Likes

Alternatively:

3 Likes

I do struggle to sympathize with people who hoard cash and then find their savings wiped out in some tediously inevitable way. At worst they’re obnoxious survivalists who hope to be the last human standing (and ludicrously imagine that they’d be just fine without the rest of us); at best they’re counter-examples we should be using to persuade elderly relatives not to end up like that dipshit on the news.

1 Like

Christ, what an asshole we’ve got here.

And this (among other good reasons) is why we have banks, people.

1 Like

In this world of paycheck to paycheck living, that is likely much more than most have available in cash.

2 Likes

Would that be the same banks that forge signatures and can be told to freeze your assets? And in many cases do their best to turn you towards to consumerism and try to get you into perpetual debt?

Yes, storing all your life savings in one place is a stupid idea. Storing them at home even more so.

Keeping a few thousand in cash at home, stored at a reasonably secure place, not so much.

And yes, losing a few ten k is a bad thing. Though something that happens regularly in cash happy Germany, where paying an used car in the 6 to 30 k range in cash is pretty normal.

However, the times where I lost such sums were all cashless, though banks weren’t involved. But I can totally see a low income persons with few available resources to react to being burned by a bank to mistrust them in general.

2 Likes

Said relatives also fall victim to the Spanish prisoner scam or roofing scams, in which banks rarely catch on when they withdraw large sums.

Frankly, I have a lot more sympathy for this guy then with all the federal employees affected by the shutdown and not being able to pay their credit card debt and financed cars.