Red-baiting water speculator plans to drain the Mojave of its ancient water

Are you actually claiming that removing water from an area with almost none will have less impact than taking it from an area with lots to spare? Links have already been given as to the routine consequences of depleting areas. In your attempt to assume everyone here is just knee-jerk against profit, you are missing your opportunity to learn something.

The Mojave and one of its cities, for those not familiar. Not a lush paradise, but not exactly empty wasteland for nobody to care about, either.

10 Likes

Iā€™m done with this maroon who is going out of his way to be obtuse. Best of luck to the rest of you.

16 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say heā€™s been missing it, Bob.

10 Likes

The guy explicitly states that he doesnā€™t care about any criticism, on any basis, because what he is doing is legal.

Thatā€™s a tell. Particularly that tell tells that heā€™s doing it without regard for others, because thatā€™s what he says heā€™s doing.

It is good that the BLM is doing their job, theyā€™ll probably get tarred and feathered for it too but thatā€™s their job too.

Cory uses buzz wrods and such, but no more or less than most anyone of hot-button issues. And the other guy started it, I ainā€™t a comm-u-nest & Iā€™m critical of his actions.

14 Likes

Will somebody tell this buttmunch that selling =/= ā€œsharingā€.

1 Like

Okay demanding substancia minutiae in the age of Google is poor form.
Aquifers are huge things and often interconnected, both in this case, deserts are not deserted and are also parts of larger eco-systems. If youā€™ve never been to a desert do visit. As you might imagine if you took a moment, making major changes to the way water flows has cascading effects, pun intended.

9 Likes

I suspect @KeithLM might be one of those people who hear the word ā€œdesertā€ and assume the place is indistinguishable from Arakkis, with nigh but sand dunes as far as the eye can see and every drop of life-giving water trapped far below in living cisterns of interlocking sandtrout.

10 Likes

Heā€™s extracting all the value from his land without paying for the true cost of his venture.

Like the coal miner who leaves vast, polluted tailing ponds. Or the gold miner who dumps mercury all over the place. Or the nuclear plant that doesnā€™t account for spent fuel rods.

8 Likes

As an East coast person I applaud your bravery.

1 Like

As someone on the other coast, yeah when you say desert thatā€™s what instantly pops in my mind. While I know the vast majority of ā€œdesertā€ land isnā€™t like that, still itā€™s my first go to thought. You know an area that looks like it was the set of any of these films.

I do find it odd however that we look at water in a very local context. We are willing to setup companies that spend billions drilling, shipping, and refining oil all around the planetā€¦yet the concept of moving water seems beyond our grasp. Here itā€™s been raining off and on over the last month enough my front yard is an inch of mud almostā€¦ I donā€™t think anyone would have had a problem shipping the West several trillion gallons of water out the Southern part of the US.

I live in the dreaded state of Texas myself. Here we suffered through several years of severe drought before the rains came last spring. Funny thing is unlike California we didnā€™t wait until things got critical before putting in usage restrictions.

Any time the lake levels start to drop around here the first thing they do is limit how much we can water our lawns. And thatā€™s not too keep our grass green, itā€™s to protect the foundation of our homes. If we donā€™t keep the clay soil somewhat damp it leads to shifts in the foundation resulting in thousands of dollars in repairs. Sensible regulations before it becomes a severe problem kept us from having to go to extremes for alternative sources for our water.

1 Like

Ok, 1 second of googling quickly finds a better article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-03-06/california-looks-to-the-desert-as-cadiz-proposes-tapping-aquifer

I agree with @KeithLM that the Wired article leaves a lot of questions open, as to exactly what the problem is (if heā€™s drawing off the amount that evaporates, then how is that ā€œdrainingā€ the entire aquifer). Itā€™s from a couple of years ago, but this one has a few more specifics about why it might be a problem. The company of course disagrees.

Oh, and screw Feinstein:

Thatā€™s not cool. Regulatory-wise, the project should sink or swim on its merits, not a politician interfering with an agency doing their job.

(EDIT: oops, didnā€™t mean that as a reply to FunkDaddy, that was an accident)

Forget it Jake, itā€™s CoryTown.

3 Likes

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

So now that youā€™ve admitted that no amount of facts or logic will be acceptable, we know not to waste time on you anymore.

11 Likes

Huh. I got my bags packed, my new place rented, and am heading down there inā€¦ 20 hours. Iā€™ll post pictures!

8 Likes

Did you remember to pack water?

8 Likes

Does fermented grape water count? (I am so not gonna win the fitness challenge)

4 Likes

Dont forget to bring some of these guys!:

9 Likes

Only if it makes somebody somewhere a profit. It is our new morality and religion, economic Calvinism/faux-Darwinism.

3 Likes

Welcome! First burrito is on me.

3 Likes