Red wine literally flows from kitchen faucets in Italian town

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/09/red-wine-literally-flows-from.html

3 Likes

I presume that the wine was heavily diluted after mixing in with the water supply.

2 Likes

Apparently Italian plumbing codes do not require vacuum breakers or backflow preventers. Good to know.

6 Likes

I’m sure at least one person turned on their tap and thought “Jesus Christ!”

14 Likes

I’m sure at least one started bottling it!

@pesco you may wish to edit the typo in the second sentence: “to flow throw the”

1 Like

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. No way they’d get away with that here in the states. Inspectors seem to have a zeal for finding missing backflow preventers.

4 Likes

ki-kis-delivery-service-packing

dont-trust-b-in-apt-yayboo

9 Likes

Malfunction? I thought all Italian houses had a vino tap.

How many people went through this cycle?

1. Trip to tour Italian wineries: trip booked.
  2. COVID-19 strikes Italy hard: trip cancelled.
  3. Wine flows from taps: trip rebooked.
  4. Plumbing fixed: trip re-cancelled.
5 Likes

Also my first question. What kind of janky plumbing system could even make this possible? The pressure alone of the water supply ought to prevent it? Is this wine stored at greater than 80psi? My second question is, what else is in the water from broken valves that nobody knows about and don’t conveniently turn the water red? Is this why Peligrino was invented, because the city water has MF benzene in it?

Stories like this are frustrating, because nobody covers the important and interesting details. They stop at a cartoon-level understanding of what happened.

7 Likes

Good point!

Maybe the winery is at higher elevation than the affected houses? 1000 L of water would have a weight of approximately 2500 lbs (at 8 lbs per gallon plus the specific gravity of a sweet wine like Lambrusco) and might overcome the back pressure. Also, some Lambrusco are carbonated, so could build up some significant pressure on its own in a closed vat.

1 Like

He’s trying to tell us that he’s stuck in the water main.

2 Likes

Well, obviously there’s not much use wining about it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.