Reddit's wonderful "Change My View" forum launches its own independent website

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/06/change-a-view.html

3 Likes

As I’ve written before, Change My/A View is a fascinating use-case, but it’s also got heavy selection bias going for it

That’s the core issue with what otherwise seems like a useful site. A lot of trollies pretend to be looking for reasoned debate (especially the JAQ-offs and “independent thinkers” who are really ideologues), and it will be interesting to see if this new site’s paid moderators and systems are able to identify and boot these bad actors quickly.

8 Likes

I wish them well, but…

8 Likes

@doctorow any feature(s) you would like to implement in the BoingBoing forums?

2 Likes

That was the first thing I was wondering, having run into a couple of “independent thinkers” in real life.

They pride themselves on being independent, reading Greek philosophy (poorly), and explaining the blue pill vs red pill reality of how the world works. While useing the same exact words and so-called arguments as every other independent thinker. Lame.

3 Likes

There is nothing wonderful about Reddit.

Change my view.

6 Likes

Actual “independent thinkers” don’t have to announce themselves as such.

Much of the time, the ones who do are either ideologues in disguise or self-satisfied contrarians who take way too long to come around (if they ever do) to sense after spending a long time wallowing in false equivalencies. If this site is clever, they’ll give the latter type (who also tend to be blind to their own privilege) a special “gold star” to make them feel good about giving both sides a fair shake before coming down on the side of historical facts or science or logic or basic human decency.

6 Likes

They sure don’t! I’ve also noticed that they’ll tell you that they are “intellectuals” with a “high IQ” and/or “superior research skills”.

I am sadly familiar with another aspect of this type. All of the above are also common gambits that lame dudes would use in an effort to impress the female booksellers. It was all we could do not to burst out laughing at this transparent nonsense!

3 Likes

Gold is underground

Without diving into in too deep, I think this could be gamed, or at the least have the data muddied, by a group of people determined to grief. Argue/discuss for awhile, then claim your view has been changed; for the sole purpose of tossing a wrench into the works.

That said, if it turns out to be useful, awesome. I look forward to checking it out later when I have the time.

Well, I know there are things on Reddit that are more compelling than, oh let’s say, facile generalization.

In my view.

I followed a subreddit for a while of people posting cool Civ cities that they’d made, but eventually it devolved into incels shrieking about how including female leaders in the game wasn’t historically accurate.

3 Likes

I get it, there are vast swaths of Reddit that are terrible. But I have waded deep into several subreddits that have provided nothing but amusement or enlightenment. You drive past the neckbeard assholes and visit the nice parts instead. You know, like the rest of the internet.

1 Like

And since we’re talking about Reddit, kinda… Reddit - Dive into anything

2 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.