Reinvented, a new magazine about women in STEM written by women in STEM

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/16/reinvented-a-new-magazine-abo.html

6 Likes

@ garethb2 your link is broken.
https://www.reinventedmagazine.com4495-05/ should be https://www.reinventedmagazine.com with or without the 4490-05 (with it brings a 404 but at lease resolves the domain.

1 Like

Calling @garethb2

1 Like

I’m STEM’ing right now.

2 Likes

sigh I’m not feeling the love.

I’ve been a coder since 1982 - Assembler and COBOL on the IBM mainframe, so throw in JCL, also - and now I sling SAS on three platforms.

Maybe I’m having an OK Boomer Bummer moment, but we women who coded back then were pioneers and our role models were few. I see only young faces on Reinvented’s web site. How about some gray hair and wrinkles? We coding crones know a lot of cool stuff!

17 Likes

Fixed. Thanks!

2 Likes

That is depressing… some of that is the ingrained misogyny of our society, and some of that is the very short memory of the STEM field, I think (or really people in general). This is why I do a week focusing on computing in my US history survey, because people don’t realize how critical women’s contribution were to computing and people don’t realize the role the government played in shaping the computing industry… for most people, if they think about the evolution of computing, it’s from maybe the early 2000s or if they’re really informed, it starts with Jobs and Gates… which misses a century of historical development!

10 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you for being a pioneer and role model to lots of young women today!

7 Likes

FeelingTheLove

6 Likes

That was my reaction to the blurb, it seems infused with “Maker think”. It doesn’t say much that tge photo shiws a current star, who probably merits attention but she seems to be featured because she’s the one people know about.

If they feature Jude Milhon then we know they’ve looked deeper.

I remember going to a regional science fair 20 years ago, and it was like when I was in school. Lots of projects that showed they could do presentations, but the topic not so interesting. And then the projects where clearly the kid was interested in the topic, and the science fair was an excuse to spend time on something they liked. And some of them were done by young women. Someone did one on rocket packs, and she clearly was interested in that as more than a career path.

3 Likes

I did some digging on Reinvented. In the first issue the cover and feature is former U.S. White House CTO Megan Smith, who is 55. Lynn Conway, also covered, is 82. There is an article on Grace Hopper, Rachel Carson, and the foreword is written by former White House staffer Ruthe Farmer who is about 50. In the second issue they feature Nettie Stevens, astronauts Jessica Meir (42) and Christina Koch(40), and Dr. Katherine Johnson.

I see in garethb2’s original post that Reinvented’s misson is to re-invent the general perception of women in sci-tech and to inspire young girls to consider a future in STEM. That’s a great mission since many of us old timers know how unwelcome we were, and how hard it STILL is for girls to stick it out in school or jobs when it comes to STEM. I think it’s possible to read too much into their staff’s youth instead of being supportive, because seeing people who look like us is what encourages more of us to get in the field and last.

These girls are giving blood and sweat to feature both older and younger girls who have pioneered or started to make their mark in STEM. I’m pretty sure if Boomers applied to volunteer they would be welcome as mentors and supporters instead of us women jumping to conclusions or lining up to be detractors.

10 Likes

Thank you!

I didn’t go past the menu on Reinvented - I was thinking paywall from what I was seeing.

Based on your info, I will give them another look! :heart:

Edited typo.

6 Likes

I get the feeling that the deliberate erasure of women’s roles comes from the marketing of myths where men are the heroes of the story being told. It’s scary to consider how many people’s beliefs about that industry were/are formed by watching movies.

5 Likes

I think you should apply to help them. Because of your post I am now considering it, too. :heart:

4 Likes

As the first woman to get a degree in Physics from my college and as an old mainframe programmer myself (circa 1986) and as a current robotics coach I know what you mean about pioneering women w/ few role models. But I can attest to what the Reinvented team is creating because one of those young faces on Reinvented’s website is my daughter. I could not be more proud of her and the whole staff. They have published exactly two issues of Reinvented - some of them are working full time engineering jobs, some are still in college or high school. The young women of Reinvented are creating something we never had - showcasing visible, relatable role models from all walks of life for every girl and woman interested in STEM. Please consider subscribing to their magazine and perhaps even contributing to the content. I am sure they would welcome your support just like we would have welcomed any support back in the day.

9 Likes

I am grateful to the folks who have shown me that my first impression was mistaken.

I will certainly give Reinvented another look.

7 Likes

As one of the few nuclear physicists in my field in the 70s, I am with you on everything you wrote. Congratulations to your daughter and her team.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m equally sure that’s the case… plus, back in the, the programming was done by women, and it only became a “mans” job once there was some status attached to it…

Well, that’s true for a lot of things in history, unfortunately.

Also, I’m humbled to be among so many bad ass STEM ladies from the old skool in this thread! Thanks you lot!

7 Likes

As the aforementioned daughter (thanks mom!) we would LOVE to have you as part of the Reinvented team! Please reach out to us if you feel comfortable doing so!

I am so honored to have (virtually) met you! I am incredibly lucky to have a supportive work environment in the aerospace industry, yet I’ve never interviewed with a woman. My differential equations class in college was 30 people - I was one of two women, and we both had the same first name. This is the farthest thing from a woe-is-me - I love what I do at work every day and I love my team and my company! This is simply to highlight the disparity in diversity. “You can’t be what you can’t see,” my mom told me once. That’s why I’m part of Reinvented. I want aspiring rocket scientists and engineers and chemists and doctors to have a physical, tangible item that they can look at and say “she looks like me. I can do that!”

8 Likes