Remarkable footage of bustling downtown Los Angeles in the 1930s

“All those people are dead now”

2 Likes

Hey, if the end of the world is nigh, I think it would be time to repeat your sins; I mean, what have you got to lose?

2 Likes

Perhaps for the 1930s, but definitely not for the 1960s San Francisco film that they colourised.

Early ordinances were municipal so it took a while to spread. The new enclosure started in the early 19 teens as a social movement and started really appearing in a lot of municipal codes in the 20s. The process didn’t really firm up everywhere until the 40s. A lot of the early laws were less strict, only requiring yielding to cars, rather than restricted crossing points. And since we’re on the topic.
Sacrifices_to_the_Modern_Moloch

4 Likes

Well, for California it seems like almost anything under 70 degrees F. My aunt, who grew up in Wisconsin, has lived in California for decades. At 70 it is coat time. Katie, Katie, Katie. What happened to you? BTW, she is a great person - just not weather hardy any more.

2 Likes

For non-US readers, 70 degrees Fahrenheit is 21.1 degrees Celsius.

2 Likes

too many significant digits. Say, “about 20 degrees Celsius.”

1 Like

I was worried that someone would complain that I wasn’t precise enough.

1 Like

(Where the hell is that “pet peeve” emoji.)

1 Like

Look at all the people on the sidewalks! Look at how the autos are already obstructing the streetcars! Look at what we gave up in exchange for this:

Have you talked to her about the advantages of getting a top quality winter treatment, and an under-chassis anticorrosion coating?

2 Likes

This is just the same today in most big cities I’ve lived in. You cross when you can cross. The only exception was in Vancouver, where cars would stop if you even paused to look out into traffic, and my rebel friends would go pale every time I stepped into the road away from a crosswalk.

Yes, I have. She keeps saying she doesn’t want anyone messing around with her under-chassis

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.