ReMarkable Paper Pro tablet feels more like the real thing—and is full-color

Originally published at: ReMarkable Paper Pro tablet feels more like the real thing—and is full-color - Boing Boing

1 Like

It does look quite good indeed. Yet here’s a potential deal killer for me: it appears that this model, unlike previous models, is dependent on a ‘cloud’ subscription for accessing one’s own documents, (as a lame reference, see current first comment on Hacker News). Really against having my documents even slightly ‘managed’ by the parent company (and subsequent warnings of exceeding my current cloud storage allotment). If anyone hears that this isn’t the case for this model, please let us know.

(edit: the ‘subscription’ comment is now sliding downwards, like second or third. so uh… search for “subscription” if you’re really interested)

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting something like this for a while now for work related notes, edit and pull up PDFs, and other work related functionality. My problem is that these eInk tablets and other types of tablets i would have to buy with my own money, and its just hard for me to justify the expense on something i’m not 100% sure how much it would improve my workflow.

3 Likes

I put down a deposit for a DC-1 but I don’t want to shell out the $$$ until I see some real-world reviews. If I don’t end up with the Daylight I’ll probably get a Boox Note Air Whatever the next time they are in stock.

Not sure I am interested in a color e-ink screen since I want the extra contrast, but…

1 Like

Remarkable 1 user here from the early times - I use it mainly as markup-able pdf reader, with the desktop sync app - for pulling up datasheets that I don’t want to printout when at the workbench. Only reason I don’t use it more widely is the usb-micro plug, (current models are usb-c).

Encouraging to see companies outside the vertically integrated tech giants delivering solid hardware with polished SW/integrations. Shame about the subscriptions but at least for motivated hardware hackers out there, are some good efforts being put in for jailbreaking and sideloading on the current models.

1 Like

… but can you play Doom on it

1 Like

My dream device has always been a traditional OLED tablet with a e-paper cover that seamlessly switches between screens.

Worst. USB. Ever. I resent that I have to carry one in my bag just in case.

1 Like

9 Likes

I have a Boox Note Air and completely love it. I’m waiting for a fairly large leap in display tech before upgrading (full color, more instantly responsive, greatly reduced ghosting), but if Remarkable really does require using their “cloud service” for my files, then I’ll likely stick with Boox for that reason alone. I can easily wait to upgrade until my dream display (or a close approximation of it) is developed.

Interestingly, the video about the Remarkable Paper Pro says it does not suffer from the same low-contrast/low-resolution issues of other color e-ink screens, because the display technology stack is quite different. Hope to see these devices in a store some day soon so I can lay hands on them in person.

2 Likes

it may be not that bad; your linked yt-review makes it clear that its localized refreshing, only the part which changes, refreshes, not the whole screen. that is a really neat feature.

1 Like

I’ve since watched further videos and a long YouTube review(?) preview(?) of the device in detail showing the refresh and honestly it isn’t nearly as bad as I’d have expected. Personally, color media consumption would be the main thing I want color for, with “adding a little color to my sketches and notes every now and then” being quite secondary. And for those purposes, Remarkable might have found a pretty good compromise, from what I saw in the video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.