Remember Big Fig and the "Newton" dance?

Originally published at: Remember Big Fig and the "Newton" dance? | Boing Boing

…

4 Likes

β€œHere’s the tricky part!”

7 Likes

Reminds me of this…

3 Likes

of course i remember this commercial, but nowadays i always think of Homer Simpson:

12 Likes
7 Likes

Do I remember? YES! Every time I eat them.

Fig Newtons are an essential item to bring for long bicycle rides, so I sing it to myself a lot.

4 Likes

My neighbors - five years old at the time - LOVED that song, until their mother yelled at them for screaming the phrase β€œDARN TOOTIN’!” at the top of their lungs. She considered it a gateway to incessant profanity, which would, of course, devastate their future among polite society.

6 Likes

For years I misremembered the actor being Charles Nelson Reilly. I went and looked this up recently to find out it wasn’t him, after all. Undoubtedly I was, instead, conflating it with this other Saturday morning classic - just look at it:

4 Likes

I don’t remember, no.

But I do still enjoy Strawberry Newtons.

1 Like

I love fig newtons as an adult but, as a kid the textural mix of the filling creeped me out.

1 Like

My kid sister and I made endless fun of this. How tricky is it to stand on one leg? We changed the lyrics to say β€œhere’s the easy part” while doing absurd contortions.

4 Likes

I had forgotten about Mr. Reilly’s turn as the Big Banana until seeing this clip, thank you! I also remember him in a ridiculous alligator costume on Saturday mornings from probably 1974 or so for β€œUncle Croc’s Block”, which also featured the inimitable Jonathan Harris aka Dr. Smith! β€œOh, the pain…”

1 Like

I wasn’t around for the dance, but I remember the court commercial…

Now that I think about it, was it referencing the court case in the UK about Jaffa Cakes’ tax status as cakes not biscuits/cookies?

2 Likes

Ooowey gooey rich and chewy inside
Golden cakey tender flakey outside
Wrap the inside in the outside
Is it good?
Darn tootin’!

Channeling my 15-year-old self who LOVED the commercial!

Then remembering Jean Shepard’s β€œA Fistful of Fig Newtons!” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thinking:

ETA: More lyrics I remembered as soon as I posted!

2 Likes

Yeah! I was about to say the same thing. I keep Fig Newtons in my frame bag and enjoy the heck out of them on long rides.

1 Like

1 Like

One of the guys in my high school, back in the 1970s, made himself a Big Fig costume, and Big Fig doing the Fig Newton dance was a regular feature in our pep rallies. I’ve got no idea why, it was just a thing that happened.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.