Your 80's nostalgia merch just got Precious

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/07/your-80s-nostalgia-merch-jus.html

2 Likes

Okay that will be my nightmare fuel for the next few days.
Thanks BoingBoing.

6 Likes

I didn’t really get the FunkoPop thing because all the characters seem to be rendered as practically the same with their stylized expressionless faces. Same thing with these “precious” figurines. Basically the only way I know one of the girls is supposed to be Molly Ringwald and the other Ally Sheedy is that the Molly one is wearing pink.

7 Likes

Win-win if you melt all of them with this:
https://www.popsci.com/researchers-japan-fired-worlds-most-powerful-laser

4 Likes

When they get a Precious ?Moments Repo Man set, you can just shoot me.

6 Likes

8 Likes

It will just be labelled “Figurine”

8 Likes

In my home state (may I never have to move back there) there is a fucking Precious Moments chapel/statue garden/theme park? and I have this conflicted ugre over going to see the horror in person or just glancing at it and running away in terror.

2 Likes

they are not “Precious Moments for Generation X,” because Millennials are the target audience, not Gen-X.

Funko is the the Sillisculpts of the Millennials.

2 Likes

Is… is this a parody? I just can’t even. In any reasonable world, it would be a parody.
Is this what it feels like to have a psychotic break?

5 Likes

tumblr_lzae12vMlt1qzjku9o1_500

Seriously, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

4 Likes

The figurine of a Repo Man is always intense.

4 Likes

I’ve always hated the design for the Precious Moments people, just as much as i hate Funko Pops. Maybe more so actually. More junk for people to buy i guess, but i have no interest.

The chia ones are more fun. I wouldn’t buy them but if someone gifted me one i would likely give it a whirl.

3 Likes

The Precious Moments Antifa figurines will probably show up around 2040.

1 Like

Ditto.

And there you lost me. But I guess that’s mostly due to how I can’t stand their eyes, and less about nostalgia, since I have that in spades.

I’m now up to four… It started with Zim and GIR on the Pig, and that was all I wanted.

Then I bought Angry Bender with a Beer, because even though I don’t drink, I can relate.

The last one I bought was Rick Sanchez in his Ship…

The last one I got was of Snowball (dog on Rick & Morty) unexpectedly gifted to me by my wife. I think she might be trying to nudge me over to the dark side, since she’s well mired there herself.

I love how every chia-head “anything” that I’ve seen advertised is an obvious photoshopped image of how it would look in a perfect world. Even more obvious side-by-side like that.

I felt the same way at first, but as my wife’s collection has grown and grown I am starting to get the point. It’s like how Chibi works:

The term is widely used in Japan to describe a specific style of caricature where characters are drawn in an exaggerated way. Typically these characters are small and chubby, with stubby limbs and oversized heads to make them resemble children.

So they are stylized versions of these popular things. The thing is, if you don’t like the style of one, you probably won’t like the style of any unless they deviate. Which is how I ended up breaking down and getting the Zim figure. It deviated, and I love Invader Zim. The foot is now in the door.

And Ally is the one awkwardly sitting on the floor.

Fight Club… That is what they would have to make to seriously tempt me into buying one. Otherwise, meh.

I know I screwed up in another thread discussing generations, but I think Gen-X is the correct target for these.

There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s.

I was born in ’68 and was a senior in high school when The Breakfast Club came out.

I’m pretty sure this is meant to target me and mine, who have strong memories associated with the movie and our youths, and not Millennials who may have seen it in their parents’ movie collections.

But, you’re entitled to your opinion.

I had to look up what Sillisculpts were… Eeesh. God no. I believe my dad had a couple of these that had to do with fishing and maybe drinking.

Again, I respect your opinion, but I don’t agree with it.

no, so i’m only a year younger than you… we’re fully Gen-X, and you’re right – the Breakfast Club is a touchstone movie for us. but my point is that millennials are SUPER nostalgic for the 80s right now (much like when we were kids in the 70s and 80s we were nostalgic for the 50s (e.g. Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, etc.), even though we never lived in that time.

boomers and x-ers remember them. i know, because i have a collection of over 1,200 of them, and i put them on display every year at Burning Man. i hear stories all week long from people around my age and older who fondly remember Sillisculpts. Funko is the new Sillisculpt for millennials, i swear.

3 Likes

Ah! Got it. I agree.

:astonished:

Where do you keep them all? Holy cow.

Considering your own collection of Sillisculpts and the people with fond memories of them, is that a bad thing?

Honestly, I’m astonished at the range of pop culture that Funko Pops have absorbed. It’s almost Borg-ian.

ETA: in fact…

Image result for funko pop picard porg

Anyone looking to retire off them eventually is likely a fool, but if you are a fan of something, I must admit that many of them are pretty cool. And collectors are gonna collect.

2 Likes

heh – we keep them in storage most of the year. they only are displayed for that week, once a year. most people i know who have collections have them in storage or in a room in their home, and nobody ever gets to see them, so i feel like at least we’re letting others see them and enjoy them at some point each year.

i look forward to seeing what happens with Funko stuff. will they be like the Beanie Babies? will they actually become collectible? or will they be largely ignored and forgotten, like the Sillisculpts and the Norfins?

1 Like

shady-pines-ma

2 Likes

but I really want one now.

1 Like