OH YEAH! Kool-Aid Man is a Funko Pop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/25/oh-yeah-kool-aid-man-is-a-fun.html

1 Like
5 Likes

That’s the first Funko Pop I’ve seen that actually looks like the thing it’s supposed to be.

I’ve never understood the appeal of Funko stuff to collectors. It seems like they all look a lot like a Funko thing and only a little like the character they are supposed to be.

2 Likes

Things ARE a lot worse… like type 2 diabetes. He’s just another marketing tool of sugar addiction; as cool as Joe Camel.

1 Like
4 Likes

Huh. Somehow they made him less cute.
Why are his eyes so close together? That’s neither kool-aid nor Funko’s usual look,

Have some Veggie Tales instead

4 Likes

I spent the greater part of the 80’s trying to figure out how to dupe Kool-Aid Man into busting me out of prison. I figured: he can’t be that smart - he’ll totally bum-rush this pen!

Well, guess what? Turns out he’s a lot brighter than I thought, and I’m still locked up!

1 Like

That is very appealing to people who enjoy collecting things that mostly look like variations of a Thing. See, also: Fabergé eggs, AR-15s, Hummel figurines, etc.

1 Like

Uh, that’s precisely the point. If you want more realistic figurines, there’s plenty of other brands out there. The Pop! line has a very specific aesthetic and if you like it, and you like the characters, you’ll want to get more of them. They also aren’t really expensive which encourages collecting. I’m not much of a collector but I have some 15 or so Pops and I think they are fun. If it’s not your thing, hey, you do you.

As an aside, if you like Funko products and you’re in the Seattle area, it’s well worth the trek to Everett to check out their store. I went there a couple of weeks ago and it was great. Lots of rare and retail store exclusives were available. The store was big and spacious with various themed areas. It was a lot of fun just wandering about and browsing.

1 Like

People line up to get in!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.