Remembering the Amstrad CPC, a superior 8-bit computer

I wrote a simple Mandelbrot set generator - in BASIC. Needless to say, it was slow, even when compiled, despite the small number of pixels that it had to generate.

3 Likes

Yes, I had one of those floppy drives, and also the expansion card that let you plug in external ROMs for added functionality - I used the Protext word processor to write magazine articles.

ProfessorDumb’s endorsement notwithstanding, I did have some sort of technical issue with the floppy. Can’t remember exactly what, but I don’t think it was as simple as a mere jam, because to fix it I needed to have the drive running with the top of the case removed so I could see what happened with the mechanism when the floppy was inserted. I got distracted somehow - phone call perhaps? - and when I returned, I forgot that the drive was still plugged in and made a grab for it, touching the live side of the mains transformer.

Let me tell you, 240V AC gives your arm one hell of a jolt. :scream:

I think that one of the demo programs in the manual was a 3D function plotter - it literally took all day to generate an image.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.