Remote "uncontacted" island tribe killed an interloping missionary with arrows

“Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Jesus Chri–”

19 Likes

Heh. I get it. But sometimes the harms are so obvious and far reaching, that trying to be nice about it, instead of firmly condemning can sort of enable the continuation of bad behavior.

7 Likes

Christian Persecution!

3 Likes

or maybe her will?

5 Likes

He actually wasn’t killed the minute he stepped on the island. He went there, came back to his fishing boat with arrow wounds, and went back to the island. Then they broke his canoe, so he somehow swam back again. THEN the fishermen saw the inhabitants dragging his corpse around.

Slow learner.

50 Likes

There has been plenty (well … more than none) of contact over the years. The Wikipedia article seems fairly thorough.

The best bit about this, I think, is that the Indian govt has absolutely zero intention of applying the law. “Oh, they murdered your friend? Yeah … serves him right. Here’s a tip: don’t go there.”

21 Likes

Terry Pratchett always gives sound advice:

The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that’s where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won’t do if they don’t know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight.

42 Likes

you fucking kidding, right? right?!?

1 Like

i have zero sympathy for zealots getting hurt or killed while trying to spread their poison

12 Likes

Technically they did:

It didn’t matter much in the end.

13 Likes

Thanks! I clarified my post.

6 Likes

2000 years. hallelujah.

2 Likes

I’m reminded of a story about an anthropologist who was studying the Yanomami. They didn’t have a tradition of pictorial art, but had seen photos. A Protestant missionary took advantage of this by painting a picture of Yanomami being thrown into a lake of fire by demons, telling them it was a photo. He convinced them to not let their shamans perform ceremonies in the village.

The anthropologist had never been permitted to join their ceremonies before, but now they were happy to let him perform the rites in their village, so he put on the monkey tail headdress, took a hit of hallucinogenic ebene, and did the ritual. The missionary came out to yell fire and brimstone at whoever was doing the ceremony, and the anthropologist laughed in his face and gave him the finger, at which point he had to retreat.

This went down in local lore as the anthropologist having defeated the missionary in shamanic battle with a gesture of great power. After that, there were cases when missionaries went to previously “uncontacted” tribes, and were greeted by the entire village laughing at them and giving them the finger.

38 Likes

If she sings ‘isn’t it ironic’ for all eternity to him, then her all the way.

4 Likes

I seriously wish i was. Other extremely stupid questions were asked but i don’t remember them all. Stuff like “Do you speak Mexican?” and “Do you have stuff like… Pepsi or Coke?”

12 Likes

The Yanomami are damn cool people, studied their culture in school and got to see some well made reproductions of their living structures at a park in Venezuela. Sadly they aren’t treated well by the government and they are frequently at the mercy of logging companies, illegal miners and guerilla foot soldiers (typically the FARC).

12 Likes

Yeah, there’s so much ignorant cultural imperialism on the part of missionaries. Every time I think of missionaries, I think of three stories:
After 9/11, I remember hearing some missionaries on the radio talking about how they were going to Muslim countries to “tell them about Jesus.” A caller asked them if they were aware that Jesus was, in fact, a part of Islam, recognized as a prophet. The missionaries were dumbfounded. They hadn’t bothered to inform themselves at all about the religion and culture they were trying to change.
That ignorance of the culture they’re inserting themselves into is often fatal. There were the missionaries going to visit an uncontacted tribe in the Amazon - they flew in by helicopter, and saw the terrified tribespeople grimacing in fear, shooing them away and said, “Oh look - the people are smiling and waving at us!” and got off the helicopter. They were all killed, needless to say.
I also recollect that my grandmother, among the many terrible religious organizations she funded (she was a big donor to certain televangelists), gave money to some American missionaries in Africa. Those assholes apparently sent back gleeful photos of themselves standing on the remains of destroyed statues after a CIA-backed coup in the country in which they were working. Making Africa safe for Western capitalism was their main concern.

19 Likes

wypipo

12 Likes

Maybe he was just trying to break St. Sebastian’s record for “Christian Martyr with most arrow wounds.”

21 Likes

I’ve had much the same thing about New Zealand. Last time it happened, I managed to convince my interlocutor that Australia is connected to NZ by the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

27 Likes