Remove the Quaker in the Oats now

My point is it’s not the job of people outside the group to raise the possibility that a brand might be problematic. If you’re concerned, do the research.

You said you agreed with Eeyore; Eeyore made assertions of offense for a group he is not part of.

8 Likes

When I was a kid, our nearest grocer in Williamsburg, B’klyn identified himself as a Quaker. They’re still there. http://brooklynmeeting.org/

4 Likes

And then he largely seems uninterested in continuing the discussion HE brought up in the first place… wonder why?

11 Likes

Perhaps…

After sitting in silence and allowing for a suitable period of waiting, if someone is so moved to speak, his or her words may enrich the understanding of those present.

(Taken from the b’klyn meeting website) :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

They do call the team at UPENN the fighting Quakers; which is just all kinds of dissonance.

13 Likes

The number of schools that self-identify as Quaker (or are of Quaker origin) is larger than two, but yes. In any event, if the OP of this thread was right and the term was derogatory then this would be some form of self-loathing? Maybe we should go to our local Quaker meeting and see if the answer is revealed through the inner light.

Likewise Haverford and Swarthmore (when they had football teams) were some for of “the Quakers”, which must have been fun when they played one another.

4 Likes

I know there are multiple Quaker schools, but I remember “Fight, little Quakers, fight!” when I was there.

5 Likes

That would have been sizeist. However, I’ve been to Swarthmoor Hall near Ulverston, and it is not huge. I’ve tried to find out William Penn’s height, but all I get is 11 meters, which seems tall to me.

1 Like

Your Heavenly Father didn’t forsake the CRUNCH!

Did he ever fight Godzilla?

4 Likes

He probably just hugged Godzilla…

5 Likes

No, but from the right angle, that 11 meter tall Quaker does some very unQuaker like things.

7 Likes

I guess that’s what “just hugging” Godzilla does to him.

6 Likes

Bayard was a pacifist, doing prison time during WWII instead of going to war. WWI was brutal for pacifists,unless one was part of one of tge peace churches. But they campaigned in the interrum, so instead of 20 or 30 years. So a lot more men went to prison instead of war during WWII. Though no clear word I’ve seen on whether it was the lesser penalties or a greater belief in pacifism. WWI was brutal for soldiers too.

But apparent!y many a Quaker served, they seeing value in this war to not go with religious obligation.

Bayard Rustin is in a book I got from about 1979 about nonviolence in America… So he wasn’t completely hidden. But he was hidden in wider circles because he was gay, or maybe specifically because he’d been arrested for gay activity. So I’m not sure he was a “gay activist” but maybe himself wasn’t hiding it. But the work to resurrect him seems to ignore his pacifism.

“ Rustin would continue his role in activism, speaking at events for gay rights in the 1980s. It was also during this time, the last years of his life, that Rustin gave an interview with the Washington Blade, recalling the duality of being both black and gay in the Civil Rights Movement and how that shaped his refusal to hide his sexual orientation .

One moment in particular helped motivate his decision to be open about his sexuality. After walking towards the back of a bus in the 1940s during the Jim Crow South, a white child reached up to touch his tie, only to be stopped by their mother. She scolded her child and told them not to touch Rustin or anyone who looked like him, hurling a slur his way in the process.

“If I go and sit quietly at the back of that bus now, that child, who was so innocent of race relations that it was going to play with me, will have seen so many blacks go in the back and sit down quietly that it’s going to end up saying, ‘They like it back there, I’ve never seen anybody protest against it.’,” Rustin said in the interview, which was released in early 2019 via the podcast Making Gay History.

“It occurred to me shortly after that that it was an absolute necessity for me to declare homosexuality, because if I didn’t I was a part of the prejudice,” he continued. “I was aiding and abetting the prejudice that was a part of the effort to destroy me.”

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.