Remove the Quaker in the Oats now

A lot of Quakers settled locally north of Toronto in the early 1800s. Very anti-slavery. They ran the end of the underground railway into Upper Canada.

I can’t imagine who would lynch them… :thinking: /s

18 Likes

Right… they were lynched for supporting teh black freedom struggle, and black quakers probably had a higher rate of being lynched than their white co-religionists.

17 Likes

“Remove the Quaker in the Oats now”

You know, I’ve tried the Oats without the Quaker and they really aren’t as good.

tenor (28)

Generic oatmeal … yuk.

11 Likes

Did somebody piss in all the boy’s cornflakes this morning?

14 Likes

I guess.

But another Quaker who stood up for racial justice and gay rights!

http://rustin.org/

15 Likes

They were not lynched, they were hung due to a horrible law and are considered martyrs for sticking to their beliefs in the time period. Lynchings are very different, and trying to equate to two makes no sense.

13 Likes

Oh, here is a list of famous quakers, which highlights the split in the faith…

BOTH Nixon and Edward R. Murrow were Quakers! I did not know about Murrow! Or David Byrne! Or Bonnie Raitt! Or Piers Anthony! And the guy who did the dog poker painting!

A solid point! Although abolitionist quakers likely were lynched during the antebellum period. That could be what @ee0r was referencing?

16 Likes

I don’t know the full history, but the ones I know of were publicly executed and not hunted down extra-judiciously by the majority mob. I’m fine with being proven wrong - I’m just not aware of Quakers being lynched.

I know they prevented lynchings through acts that brought them harm and harassment, and it’s possible they were caught up as allies to those being lynched, but I don’t know of a case where Quakers were specifically targeted for lynchings.

9 Likes

I assume you’re talking about in England?

If it happened, it would have been in the context of the American abolitionist movement and would have been more likely to happen to black Quakers. quite a few were incredibly brazen about heading south in the 1840s and 1850s, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case at some point.

Yep.

Well, but that sort of assumes that quakers were all white, when quite a few African Americans became quakers specifically because of their principled stance on slavery.

You’re correct there. If there was a quaker lynched it was because they were anti-racist, abolitionist, not due to their faith in the US… I mean, they founded a whole god damn state for one. The first colony to enshrine religious tolerance in their founding documents…

15 Likes

A box of Quaker Oats with Nixon’s face on it would amuse me

but I would continue to buy the store brand which is cheaper and perfectly good

13 Likes

We could have a whole collectors set… Nixon, Rustin, James Dean, David Byrne, Benjamin Lay, etc…

10 Likes

A bigger issue is that Quaker Oats used have a subsidiary that built munitions. And another led by a Navy captain.

At the Quaker college I went to we would occasionally yell “Kill Quakers kill!” at football gmes, but that wasn’t a serious, arms-dealer-level request.

7 Likes

The internet has everything…

19 Likes

1 out of 1 Mad Sweeneys agree they are tasty!

American-gods-mad sweeney_chewing

11 Likes

He’s only Mad because someone took his Lucky Charms…

16 Likes

american-gods-mad-sweeney-smile

I bet if he’d become a Quaker, he’d be much more at peace…

11 Likes

Careful, they’ve got guns!

Invented in China:

5 Likes

…Did you also go to Swarthmore? (Or Haverford?)

1 Like

I would say it’s more cynically appropriative to tell a group you’re not part of what they should or shouldn’t be offended by. Quakers are a thoughtful, talkative bunch; if there have been Quakers who’ve objected to the Quaker Oats association, they’ve probably written about it, and you could do a little research and amplify their words. If you can’t find anything, then it’s probably not a big deal to Quakers and you don’t have to steal the spotlight on our behalf from the very real and well-documented issues with Aunt Jemima.

7 Likes

Which I never, ever did, even by inference.

I’m pretty sure two conversations can happen at once. Again, that’s what thread-splitting is for.

Be cautious when presenting counterpoints to ensure that it actually reflects what the poster said.