Say goodbye to Uncle Ben, Mrs. Buttersworth, and the Cream of Wheat chef

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/18/say-goodbye-to-uncle-ben-mrs.html

7 Likes

Replace him with Trump: “Uncle Don’s”?

14 Likes

Replace Trump with a bilious pig. The tweetstorm will be more rational but otherwise we won’t see much change.

3 Likes

There’s only one obvious option.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/community-sitcom/images/1/1a/Human_Being.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20121031153244

4 Likes

I wonder if any of these companies who are frantically trying to re-brand themselves away from their racist origins will ultimately settle on a non-white, human mascot.

9 Likes

I’m frankly surprised it’s taken this long.

Cue the rightwing troglodytes “But mah childhood!”

13 Likes

They could cut a deal with Disney/Star Wars: “Old Ben’s converted rice”.

16 Likes

I had to look up “converted rice” (on the packaging shown).

Google says it’s:

white rice prepared from brown rice that has been soaked, steamed under pressure, and then dried and milled.

What a metaphor.

30 Likes

They’ll get sued for stealing Cheetos trademarks.

2 Likes

But if we get rid of these racist caricatures from syrup bottles, how will we preserve our syrup heritage?

15 Likes

I’m curious about this too. Certainly, they should move away from racist stereotypes, but if this ends up with a bunch of white people in their branding instead, is that really better?

11 Likes

Now fortified with midichlorians!

7 Likes

It’s rice that’s turned from its life of sin and now follows Jesus. So every time you pass a box, you can say, Converted! Praise the Lord! Hallelujah!

9 Likes

Right. It would be amazing if they did a rotating theme of amazing POC through history and donated a portion of proceeds to BLM or something similar for the same length of time as they profited from using racist stereotypes.

13 Likes

About bloody time. It’s a testament to the combined creative laziness and racism of these companies’ brand managers that they let these bizarre relics last as long as they did.

15 Likes

A sticky question, to be sure!

3 Likes

Mrs. Butterworth is Black? I thought she was like Granny from Looney Tunes. Not that it matters, I don’t really care about preserving the history of brands.

7 Likes

Where is it written that branding must include a recognizable human?

There are so many trillions of other options, as exemplified by a large number of companies around the world already.

13 Likes

I prefer my faceless corporations to be faceless.

16 Likes

“When I’m choosing rice, it’s my chosen one!”

2 Likes