Aunt Jemima renamed Pearl Milling Company

Originally published at: Aunt Jemima renamed Pearl Milling Company | Boing Boing

6 Likes

You used the right link so I can only assume some correcting agent changed “mammy” to “mama.”

14 Likes

Their “lite” pancake syrup is pretty good, so I’d buy it if it was named the Acme Syrup Co.

Yeah, I know real maple syrup can be great. Don’t @ me…

5 Likes

In our house, Dad always made syrup with Mapleine. Follow the recipe on the box or bottle itself and its consistency is much lighter than the gooey, sticky commercial stuff.
I do prefer real maple syrup, but always have some Mapleine in the pantry too.

3 Likes

They just needed to switch out the Aunt Jemima image and name. I don’t understand why they changed more, including the pancake image. The bottle just doesn’t look as good to me. To be fair, my household will spend the money on actual maple syrup instead, meaning I’m not a customer to whom they need to appeal anyway. But package design remains important.

4 Likes

Glad to see them moving away from racist stereotypes, but man that’s a boring name lol

10 Likes

I just had a flashback - my father preferred Karo dark syrup. to pancake syrup. I tried it once, and it took a while to get the pancake unstuck from the roof of my mouth…
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15 Likes

16 Likes

Well, they are giving those folks plenty of time to stock up…

PepsiCo says its products will continue to be available under the Aunt Jemima name without the character image until June.

10 Likes

OMG, now they’re moving on to classist stereotypes!

5 Likes

Maybe working conditions in a 19th century mill still conveys the right amount of cruelty that appeals to right wingers?

9 Likes

A student wanted Canadian Maple syrup shipped to Germany once… I listed the varieties. He wanted AJ’s. Never spoke to him again.

4 Likes

“Pearl Milling Company” kinda sounds like a superfund site.

A superfund site would be less toxic than the old brand.

I can easily see some bigots saving and re-filling the empty bottles to “stick it to the libs”.

16 Likes

What does a mining company know about syrup?

Eta: milling company…milllllling…I swear I have my glasses on

7 Likes

Ohhh, this article, is… just… I can’t think where to start… maybe considering the two logos / brand icons involved… much meta… timing is very Black History Month:

https://6abc.com/aunt-jemima-quaker-oats-peal-milling-company-pancake-mix/10324877/

Maybe I should leave the analysis to a decent semiotics graduate.

There’s definitely been a building crescendo to address the whole matter:

9 Likes

Oh good, it wasn’t just me.

11 Likes

Maybe trees are secretly much tougher than we thought… :thinking:
[Looks nervously at the forest]

17 Likes

DISCLAIMER: contains no milled pearls.

11 Likes

I can’t believe I actually need to say this, but it’s a pretty safe bet the answer to this news isn’t “Hey, what’s the big deal about using racial stereotypes for products?”

It’s an American product, and comments that feign ignorance over the situation around bigotry and racism still prevalent in the US while still posting in this topic border on outright trolling.

18 Likes

It’s also a North American product, meaning that the vast majority of white, middle-aged Canadians can’t credibly feign ignorance due to “subtle cultural differences”, either.

14 Likes