Aunt Jemima renamed Pearl Milling Company

Not only that, but I mean, it’s on Boing Boing. We may have covered some of the events surrounding racial tensions in the US at some point. :wink:

19 Likes

I wish them a pleasant botulism.

13 Likes

We take our syrup seriously here. The fake stuff is relegated to a corner of the shelf at the grocery stores, while the real syrup has 2 or 3 farm producers to choose from.

Fun fact, VT hosts the only IHOP to serve real maple syrup.

10 Likes

Will it now contain milled pearls?

2 Likes

too bad their product identity wasn’t racially neutral, like Mrs. Butterworth –– that’s racially neutral, right? Isn’t it? hmmm.

Yes, no, maybe
i don’t know
can you repeat the question?

4 Likes

I was suspicious that they had created a plausible sounding, but ultimately fictitious origin story, but it checks out.

1 Like

“… the consternation of right-wingers.”

Of course. They welcomed the “pleasant” reminder of the good old days of the Old South… and how much better than with pancakes.

3 Likes

When I was a kid I thought Mrs Butterworth would come alive and talk to me… I was disappointed a lot as a kid.

11 Likes

I dunno, Ruby’s Tailings and Sluice sounds like a canned good I can imagine buying.

5 Likes

Long as parents up there still let their little blessings pour the syrup all over the table and then rub it around the booth and window, creating a 20 minute clean up for tip earning wait staff, it’s still IHOP.

2 Likes

Why not just Pearl Brand?! Save the Milling Company for the souvenir tin which you obviously had time to produce over the last 12 months as you’ve all clearly been stuck in Zoom committee meetings this whole time…sheesh the packaging looks like the absolute least amount of work possible, are there no more brand consultants anymore?!

Never heard of treacle mines? It is still a cheap and locally sourced syrup base in some areas in Europe.

6 Likes

Why use pearls at all? Pearls are white and luminescent. Syrup is brown and sticky.

Call up the Rolling Stones, spend some licensing money, and call it Sticky Fingers Syrup. Now THAT’S some syrup I can believe in!

5 Likes

I hear Überwald does a good business in treacle and fat mining.

3 Likes

Dark molasses is the only way to go sez I.

And, like my love for black licorice, I think I may be alone in this sentiment.

3 Likes

Nono, Uberwald exports fat, fretwork and Igors. The Treacle Mines were in Ankh-Morpork under the old Watch House.

4 Likes

Wikipedia’s entry is fairly interesting, Aunt Jemima - Wikipedia which states the character’s image was lifted from a litho poster. A brand founded on a copyright violation, some 19 years after the Copyright Act of 1870!

“To distinguish their pancake mix, in the autumn of 1889 Rutt appropriated the Aunt Jemima name and image from lithographed posters seen at a vaudeville house in St. Joseph, Missouri.”

There’s a joke in there somewhere, about Rutt being stuck with all this excess flour and nowhere to put it.

As Vaudeville was the pre-cursor to Hollywood’s entertainment industry, the character really is based on that archetypal American dream, but ironically also an actress. Over at their website http://auntjemima.com they are actually taking feedback on the name change, I wonder if they were to actually publish some of that feedback somewhere.

I’m still torn about the new name, which is the old name, but which somehow manages to keep this issue a pure black and white one. In today’s sea of already registered trademarks and brand names, finding a new name is probably a task that’s harder than it would seem.

1 Like

Strange, considering that Canadian maple syrup is available in most German supermarkets. It’s over in the organic health foods section, and some have both grade A and grade C. Maple-flavoured pancake syrup is also now available in the American Foods section, next to the taco mix, barbecue sauce and Pop Parts.

3 Likes

Brings back memories. It was the German markets that introduced me to Bio products back in 2007 in the first place. I was late to the party. Not sure if the student would’ve frequented the Bio section with AJ on the mind.
Missing Schwabenland just thinking about all this!

3 Likes

Right? They need to update their appeal to white folks’ nostalgia!

2 Likes