Ben Stein is sad that there isn't a “large African-American woman” on his syrup bottle

Originally published at: Ben Stein is sad that there isn't a "large African-American woman" on his syrup bottle | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He was also probably sad when Lizzo played Madison’s crystal flute soooooo…

24 Likes

Aunt Jemima is mainly corn syrup anyway, no matter what image is on the label; your tastes are shit, Ben.

48 Likes

Some other right-wing talking head was trying to hold up Aunt Jemima as a symbol of African-American success and entrepreneurship back when the company announced they were retiring the brand name, but I don’t have the patience to look up which one it was.

Suffice to say that Aunt Jemima is essentially a cartoon mascot borne out of a caricature, and is no more a symbol of inclusivity and success for African-Americans than Lucky the Leprechaun is a symbol of inclusivity and success for Irish-Americans.

36 Likes

Indeed.

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF

22 Likes

Like the incredible song “Victoria’s Secret” about Victoria,
Jax - Victoria’s Secret [Official Lyric Video] - YouTube ,

Aunt Jemima was made up by a dude. She never was a real person. Ben Stein is literally wishing for a racist trope made up by a white guy

20 Likes

If you wanted something to pour on your pancakes that has positive symbolism, then you’re back to real maple syrup.

36 Likes

What a sad, desperate bid for attention by a toxic right-winger who’s been long eclipsed by even more rancid ones.

20 Likes

I’m told that senescence is the cancel culture of biology.

20 Likes

John Ross Bowie Reaction GIF by CBS

18 Likes

The company’s original product was pancake mix, anyway, not pancake syrup. And the company was originally called the Pearl Milling Company, so all they’ve done here is retired a racist brand and gone back to their original name.

27 Likes

It’s okay. They now have a reminder on the label saying that it was previously Aunt Jemima for people like him.

14 Likes

Don’t worry folks, this pointless rant is soon to include a racism erasing compliment for the black folk. Ready? They had incredible skill at making pancakes. There, see?

8 Likes

Exactly. That stuff is terrible. Once you become an adult, part of the process is realizing how awful this kind of syrup is compared to real maple syrup. We got that junk as kids. And margarine.

14 Likes

T.
Try Maple Syrup, Ben. You’ll never regret it. Many don’t even know it exists. Some years ago a Finnish X-C coach handed a Canadian skier a new pole during a race. He was thanked with a flat of Maple Syrup sent to his home; he had no idea tree squeezings were a thing, didn’t seem like he was eager to try them. ( just checked this: it was Bjornar Hakensmoen, and he received five tons of syrup, donated by Canadian fans…couldn’t make the link work on this device )

17 Likes

That’s a lot of tree squeezings.
I make a mean Old Fashioned with just a touch of maple syrup.
In your mixing tin with ice:
2oz rye (or bourbon)
Couple dashes bitters
1/2oz of maple syrup
Orange zest (twist over the ice to express in tin, then drop it in)
Stir for 30 seconds, then strain over ice into rocks/old fashioned glass. Garnish with Luxardo cherry.

16 Likes

farah khan bollywood GIF

From your keyboard to the ears of Tromp’s handlers (not that he ever listens to them).

12 Likes

Same here.

Growing up in the Midwest, I was given way too much fake, processed crap as a kid, so now I don’t mess with any of it as an adult.

Real butter, real sugar, real cheese (not pasteurized processed cheese-like substance) real mayo, and yeah… actual MAPLE syrup.

24 Likes

A sad Shrove Tuesday in the Stein manor

4 Likes

Really, Ben? You can’t afford real maple syrup?

Maybe if you hadn’t given so much of it away on your game show you’d still be able to afford life’s little luxuries.

9 Likes