Say goodbye to Uncle Ben, Mrs. Buttersworth, and the Cream of Wheat chef

Problem is, in you call the product “Uncle Ben’s” you need some human like logo. It could be stylized.
This rice brand has an higly stylized logo on modern products, but sometimes makes some nostalgia packages where the old “cook and waitress” picture is used.

https://www.risoscotti.it/portfolio_category/i-risi-per-risotti/

So don’t call the product that, then; call it something else.

22 Likes

As I said in the other thread about Aunt Jemima, furries have solutions for this if companies are really insistent on retaining brand names that are themselves racist tropes. Which they shouldn’t.

14 Likes

Wait, was Mrs. Butterworth supposed to be black?
I always thought she was a completely race-neutral species of syrup bottle, possibly alien, definitely creepy. Never associated her with any human culture.

7 Likes

Your day has come. I look forward to a furry renaissance in the grocery aisles. <3

4 Likes

An alien genetic experiment to produce an unnatural human-syrup bottle hybrid.

6 Likes

Pretty much. She always gave me the creeps in the commercials. That voice with the low pass filter, sounded like something guiding you into the Soylent Green processing room.

7 Likes

If these depictions are bad today, they were bad yesterday and the years before. Why weren’t they abandoned years ago? I mean, we had a black president for 8 years–wouldn’t his ascent in office have been a good time to do it as expression of national unity and racial respect?

But I suspect now is the time, not 12 years ago, because the protests give corporations a way to say “please burn our factories last.”

4 Likes

A total re- brand is probably easiest. They might get away with dropping the “uncle” and using a different image… but it’s probably simplest to just start over.

3 Likes

Why? Who cares? It’s rice.

15 Likes

That is the plan for this November; we’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

What exactly is “converted rice?” What did they convert it from?

I eat a lot of rice. I actually keep two kinds of rice on hand depending on what I’m cooking.

I’ve never eaten any of these products except for cream of wheat once and that was like eating wallpaper paste.

1 Like

Kind of like Wheaties (where they’ve featured various athletes) but enlightened?

Except every time you go for pancake mix, you wouldn’t know what it’s called.

But this reminds me, branding does work. I’ve made pancake batter from scratch, but the only kind I’ve ever had was Aunt Jemima. Same with the syrup, except in recent years I’ve moved to actual maple syrup.

I tend to buy generic rice, but Uncle Ben’s was familiar when I was a kid.

Without a brand these products are generic.

2 Likes

Clearly they just need to add a picture of Spider-Man to the Uncle Ben’s box.

9 Likes

during a pandemic when sports are cancelled seems like a good time to get rid of all the old timey racist mascots.

7 Likes

Francesco Rinaldi better watch his back.

It’s the new sport

A sick scuba diver? (ba Doom, tss)
Nice tie in to the other main use for rice, putting it and your phone in a plastic bag after you’ve dropped your phone in the water.

Exactly. Brand it however so it can be recognized, but the main body can be rotating images of different people.

2 Likes

It only took about 40 years longer than it did to get rid of Sambo’s restaurants.

Which was once an actual thing, for those not as old as I am.

4 Likes

It’s rice that’s been parboiled before the bran is removed.

2 Likes