Renault ships a brickable car with battery DRM that you're not allowed own

I’m betting you can buy an all-in-one plug & play removal device direct from China long before that.

My Volvo 240 came pre-bricked from the factory and still runs fabulously after 27 years.

1 Like

So you’ll be the only survivor? :slight_smile:

Totally off-topic, but I can’t help myself:
Don’t now whether it’s the best, but definitely worth a visit. When I went there a couple of years ago they had some 1000 cars, a good half of them Bugattis. They have at least one of every model Bugatti ever made and even some prototypes. The collection used to belong to the brothers Schlumpf (yes, that was their family name) who bancrupted themselves and their factory buying Bugattis in bulk. It was a private, almost secret collection, housed in one of their factory buildings. When they had to declare bancruptcy, they also owed taxes, so the collection was confiscated. The amazing thing is: the French authorities didn’t sell the cars but kept them where they were and turned the place into a museum. Apparently someone realized this was a national treasure too precious to sell.

The Bugatti Veyron is technically a Volkswagen, VW bought the name because Mr. Piech

really, really is into cars.

Wire cutters, soldering iron, flash ECU with something from the 'net.

Done.

It’s not an equivalence I made. I was specifically talking only about harvesting data and reporting home when I made the comparison to Amazon and Netflix.

As for cars leaving people stranded, this is also a possibility when it comes to credit cards and gasoline purchases. Accounting errors and automated processes can mess things up and leave you stranded. So long as they have reasonable customer support to rectify the problem, it’s not as terrible as you might imagine. I suspect they have or will have safeguards in place to ensure that they only kill the battery under specific conditions (such as after being parked for a few hours) to ensure nobody is “stranded by the side of a road.” Killing the battery in the middle of a trip could potentially involve huge liability claims should the loss of power result in an accident, so there’s lots of incentive to avoid such situations.

1, I’m not aware of anything as comprehensive as the CHDK. But then, I’m only mildly interested in photography.

2, assuming there isn’t something like the CHDK for Panasonic cameras in general, a DSLR is a little outside my photography budget of bugger-all.

Too true to be good, wouldn’t bet against it.

Plus lots of other features!
For example: automatic forwarding the information to your insurance company, asking them to suspend or void your car insurance.

the “best” one I’ve been to :slight_smile:

From what I hear, the software just prevents the battery from recharging but the car is still usable until it runs out of charge.

Beaulieu is very nice too.

Edit: typo. Somebody get a spellchecker in here, please.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.