Rep. Byron Donalds suggests slavery had upsides

Slave mortgage and bond holders hide behind their copy of New York Times.

14 Likes

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

11 Likes

I Don’t know why so called conservative people are so passionate defenders of freedom, when they say slavery was ok.

10 Likes

Also note that “conservative” had a far different meaning during Jim Crow than it does today.

3 Likes

In the spirit of magnanimous compromise; I’d be willing to consider letting people who think they are a bad idea opt themselves out of the 13th and 14th amendments. It’s a generous offer, guys.

4 Likes

A goddamned racist or a goddamned race traitor, that’s who.

When the fuck will all of humanity everywhere be treated like human beings?!

11 Likes

They hope he’ll die soon, or that he’ll get caught doing something so heinous that even his supporters will turn on him and realize the depth of his odious…jk, they hope he’ll die.

3 Likes

See Wilhoit’s Law. It explains it all.

8 Likes

slavery had upsides

So do death, war, massive natural disasters, and a bunch of other obviously horrible things. The fact that anyone thinks (pretends?) those upsides could possibly make them anywhere near net good, or even worth noting outside very specific circumstances, is just baffling to me.

8 Likes
8 Likes

well, of course, the main answer to that is they are white supremacists. one needs only to look at the racial makeup of the party to see that

the secondary answer is that if they keep forcing society to fight the battles of yesterday, it’s that much harder to address any of systemic issues of today

it’s hard for society to walk forward when the party of wealthy cis straight white men keeps dragging society back

11 Likes

Thank you. I’d been looking for words this clear to explain how awful that argument is.

8 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

12 Likes

The Black Plague had its benefits.

8 Likes

I think slavery is always bad and there are no upsides should be good enough.

11 Likes

What if the enslaved people were white? Would slavery yet have a bright side?

4 Likes

Not according to them… it’s only a benefit for “those people”…

6 Likes

Same as welfare “destroys Black families” but is absolutely required for the super-rich and megacorporations.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.