Rep. Byron Donalds suggests slavery had upsides

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/05/rep-byron-donalds-suggests-slavery-had-upsides.html

16 Likes

I’m gonna channel Biden here…

Joe Biden Shut Up GIF by Election 2020

40 Likes

… worst race to the bottom evar :unamused:

23 Likes

Also, Rico Nasty…

rico-nasty-shut-the-fuck-up

It strikes me that these very same dipshits who go on about the “benefits” of enslavement also pitch fits over taxes, which they view as akin to… SLAVERY… so what they mean when they say this is that they think slavery is fine for POC but not for rich white men (and I assume Donalds, much like Thomas, believes he’d get invited to the rich white man’s club in an officially resegregated society that they’re hoping to reinstate…)

24 Likes

Hakeem Jeffries remains a solid leader, at least.

20 Likes

The sheer ignorance is astounding. I assume either this scum is so idiotic to believe what he says or is so corrupt and greedy that he doesn’t care. Both disgust me. Time to quit doomscrolling for the day.

10 Likes

If you looked up Uncle Tom in a dictionary…
Also, I actually laughed when I read the part about blacks voting conservative back in the good 'ol days. MF, use you head! They didn’t get to vote for shit…back in the good 'ol days.

14 Likes

His apologists will probably claim he didn’t explicitly say Black people were doing better under slavery, but under Jim Crow. But of course that really amounts to the same thing since Jim Crow was the direct result of slavery.

18 Likes

We have asshole like that up here talking the same shit about Residential Schools and the 60’s Scoop. They can fuck right off.

13 Likes

Uncle Ruckus for VP!

3 Likes

JFC.

The Apocalypse has upsides.
If you are a horseman.

For everyone else, no.

Who the fuck argues a bright side to slavery?

22 Likes

Republicans in the US of A.

25 Likes

Slave traders and slave owners couldn’t agree more with Him.

18 Likes

Just… No.

9 Likes

On the flip side, where are all the examples from former slaves who wrote/documented the benefits of their former lives? None! because not one of them wrote about the benefits of slavery. Gods! Not Booker T Washington, not W.E.B.Dubois, not Frederick Douglas, not James Weldon Johnson, the few I’ve read on.

So where is their stupid theory originating from?

10 Likes

I’m not even sure why a Black Republican would want the job. Trump treated Mike Pence, a man so white, he glowed in the dark, like absolute shit. A Black Republican who accepted the veep slot for a Trump presidency would be treated impossibly worse. He’d basically be there solely so Trump could eventually turn him over to his beloved Nazis for target practice.

6 Likes

Rich white dudes looking to enslave us all and dipshits like Donalds who will happily back a fascists, cause he might benefit in some way?

Or…

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

He was not a former slave. He was born in the 1860s and was born to a free family in MA.

White people who grew up learning “Lost Cause” myths.

15 Likes

Thanks for the correction. :+1:t3:

Jim Carrey Bow GIF

14 Likes

I would say it was more the direct result of the abolition of slavery. Jim Crow refers to a series of laws and policies that were literally designed to all but reproduce slavery in everything except the name. Some of it did result in what was, for all intents and purposes, actual slavery.

Not so fun fact: because the 13th Amendment didn’t actually criminalize slavery, when states began passing laws criminalizing things like convict leasing and similar programs, they ran into a problem. When they charged someone with violating the ban on convict leasing, the defendant would just say, “Oh no, that’s not what this is. This isn’t convict leasing. Those are my slaves.” And believe it or not, that defense worked for awhile, because slavery had never been actually criminalized. That didn’t change until the beginning of WWII, when the US AG issued a memo declaring that that particular defense would no longer be recognized.

17 Likes

Well yeah, but you don’t get there without slavery first. Or rather, if the nation hadn’t already had chattel slavery they wouldn’t have spent the Jim Crow era working so hard to recreate it.

11 Likes