Rep. Jody Hice (R-GA) against D.C. becoming a state because it's "without a car dealership"

yep

Section 223 repeals any legislation enabling the 23rd amendment, and Section 224 lays the groundwork for the repeal of the amendment itself.

The ratification of the repeal amendment requires the concurrance of 3/4 of the state legislatures. I imagine that if even if the bill is enacted into law, the 23rd will remain as a tool for mischief or spite.

3 Likes

Hopefully not for him, no.

6 Likes

it’s inevitable. but really those 3 votes would just be to annoy.

i dont see a time since the 1800s when they ever would have made a difference

3 Likes

I imagine there would be bipartisan support for repealing the 23rd Amendment if DC became a state, once it was pointed out to everyone that a plausible reading of the amendment would be to give the person who lives in the White House three electoral votes, regardless of party.

3 Likes

Considering that (originally) DC was a diamond carved out of both Virginia, and Maryland, and the Virginia part was simply turned back over to Virginia many years ago, they could shrink DC to just the central federal enclave, and revert the rest of it back to Maryland (where the people would become one of the largest voting blocks). Granted, that would not result in 2 new Senators which is the wet-dream of many pushing for DC statehood, but it would mean the DC populace pretty much at least get to chose one of MDs Senators, and probably a house representative or three (as well as have an effect on the electoral college)

I think the original intent of separating DC was so that Virginia and Maryland would not get undue influence over the people working for the federal government (including the elected officials) but in the modern world, a huge (if not majority) of the federal workforce ends up living across the river in VA, or outside DC in Maryland. Not to mention a lot of the federal agencies themselves have migrated their headquarters outside of DC proper.

If they do go for statehood, I think they should regrab the VA part of the diamond (Arlington, Crystal City, Pentagon, etc) to be part of DC proper again, and perhaps expand the borders to encompass the full beltway, so that all those federal agencies that moved (or were created) outside the diamond become part of DC again.

AIUI, the problem with this is that Maryland doesn’t want the DC, and the people of DC don’t want to become part of Maryland.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s the plan.

Fuck no.

4 Likes

Look, this is simple. We know that (i) people in DC would like to have proper government representation, and do not want to be part of Maryland; (ii) other people really hate the idea of making them a state for some reason, and definitely don’t care about what solution the people there want for some reason.

The obvious solution is to make DC a Canadian province. That way nobody needs to change flags, the electoral college math is unaffected, the people who live there will probably be placated by having a functional health care system put in, and the rest of America can hardly complain about having foreigners in charge of its capital city because it would be its own damn fault for failing to treat them as proper citizens.

I think places like Puerto Rico and Guam can probably be addressed similarly.

15 Likes

The GOP…

Danny Devito News GIF by Mic

shock what GIF by Productions Déferlantes

7 Likes

Just fire-proof it first, this time.

6 Likes

Read HR51. The federal buildings remain separate from the new state, which consists of the residential areas of the district.

6 Likes

Not my comment - I pasted the info from the Globe’s article. I know how Congress works. :slight_smile:

So you regularly post things you don’t actually believe? With no commentary about it being hogwash?

8 Likes

Love it!
The medical tourism alone could probably keep Amtrak profitable!
:blush:

2 Likes

(1) Retrocession is a uniquely terrible idea. DC is not Maryland. Presumably you chose to live where you do now. How would you like to be subject to government by your neighboring state instead? Bonus points if your neighboring state’s governor is a member of the other party from 90% of your state’s population. What you’re suggesting is the exact opposite of self-determination, which is the thing that DC deserves (not to mention the thing that the people of DC voted for).

(2) Per the constitution, states cannot be made of parts of other states. The portion of DC retroceded to Virginia is now Virginia.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.