Rep. Jody Hice (R-GA) against D.C. becoming a state because it's "without a car dealership"

Made of the same flimsy stuff as a Chevy Vega, meaning very few exist today.

@vernonbird: House members get paid 174k a year. Playing “dumb hick” is a particularly bad look when you get paid that much while not being a member of the Screen Actor’s Guild. That said, ties should be abolished, as should be pantyhose - neither are good for the wearer’s health.

10 Likes

'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Heck we could add at least another 20 states without making too big a fuss about where to put the stars.

flags

10 Likes

Does D.C. really want to join this Union? It seems like a hot mess to me. They should split off into an independent country instead. Because once you’re a state the Civil War has demonstrated you’re not allowed to leave. (we’re like a mafia family)

Maybe, but Turley supports retrocession to Maryland of all but a tiny enclave.

For a number of years, I have advocated the reduction of the District of Columbia to the small area that runs from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial.330 The only residents in this space would be the First Family. The remainder of the current District would then be retroceded to Maryland.

From what I can tell, Turley is a bit of a right winger. Still, retrocession is a concession to some version of political reality. Jacoby rejects this

The plain meaning of Article I is that “the Seat of Government of the United States” comprises all the land supplied for that purpose. H.R. 51 would turn it instead into exactly what the Framers rejected — an island of government buildings, with perhaps a few hundred residents, enveloped within a state.

He may be correct that the 23rd amendment conflicts with a dramatically shrunken federal district.

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct:

A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment.

(Some national constitutions grant the president additional representatives in the legislature, in a unwise attempt to prevent stalemates. A small thumb on the scales of the electoral college, without representation in the legislature seems like the worst of both worlds.)

Every other capital in the world I know of is in a state/province/county of its nation with representation. Even the somewhat weird ceremonial County of Greater London has normal representation in parliament. Why can’t Washington D.C just be added to Maryland or Virginia as a county and be done with it?

I understand in the beginning states didn’t always trust each other but what are they really afraid of, that the state with the capital will take hostage the senate or something? Or that the Federal Government will overstep and try to influence the local politics?

(Note: Of course we in .NL have to overdo it, we have a capital Amsterdam and a Seat of Government The Hague who are each in a different Province but in the same conurbation.)

There are two alternatives for 51 and 55

(this was meant for Puerto Rico being the 51st state, so maybe don’t use this one)

7 Likes

Because that option is very unpopular with people living in Washington D.C, and they have already voted to become a state?

11 Likes

Yes. Because NOT having a voice in your government does not improve your lot in life.

OH, those poor put upon enslavers! /s

They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to rule over the millions of Americans who did not want a society built on brutal subjugation of human beings. They had no interest in a democratic society. They, in fact, wanted an aristocratic form of government where everyone who wasn’t a wealthy, white, male landowner was not only second class citizens, but subjects. Given that some of the millions of Americans who did NOT want to live like that were in fact in the region of the country that was trying to break away so they could keep brutalizing people, going to war to preserve the union, was the absolutely correct thing to do. Half the country breaking away would have been a lose-lose all around. And it’s highly unlikely that a CSA would have been successful without eventually attempting to take over the north. They very much would have done that, because they did not just want to go quietly and be left in peace. They wanted the whole god damn continent to rule over. There were even plans to align with other slave holding states in the western hemisphere.

So fuck that noise about “how they just wanted to leave and be left in peace.” It’s ahistorical nonsense.

16 Likes

Alaska doesn’t have a theme park, so it should have its statehood revoked.

3 Likes

I wonder if this guy was just emitting whatever came to mind; or if there’s any relationship to the fact that(at least at the state level) the owners of car dealerships tend to be very politically active and heavily republican leaning.

This guy is apparently a pastor when not in office, which pushes me a bit toward ‘just emitting whatever came to mind’; but it wouldn’t overwhelmingly surprise me if ‘car dealerships’ occupy a place in the consciousness of republican politicians as good, honest, small businesses generally owned by conservative-leaning older men and willing to open the checkbook when it comes to preserving a favorable regulatory environment such that they would be brought up as as a proxy for the (false, but probably true-feeling) claim that DC has no ‘innovation’ and ‘business friendly’ and is just a mixture of Gummint and slums.

3 Likes

You do realize that Washington DC is part of the United States already, right?

8 Likes

It’s partially that (ask anyone who’s worked at a local American newspaper where car dealerships are typically major advertisers) and partially American car culture in general. The latter developed in significant part to enable the existence of the segregated white suburbs (really exurbs) that still form the core geographic base of the GOP.

The post-war philosophy of Robert Moses is now seen as a malign force by historians, and urban policy sees car-free streets as a healthier and more pleasant alternative to expressways and parking structures and pedestrian/cyclist deaths. But there’s a large rearguard contingent of conservative knuckleheads who delight in “rolling coal” and who bemoan the supposed “war on the car”, and this moron’s statement is typical of the mindset.

George Carlin explains further how it fits into American conservatism.

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with ties, as long as you’re wearing a shirt with a right-size collar, and don’t tighten your tie to the point it becomes uncomfortable to wear.

1 Like

Yeah, Turley was very wrong. I lived in DC at the time of that quote, right when congress was defying the will of DC voters by repealing/invalidating our city’s gun laws.
The “district” should be shrunken down to encompass the Capitol buildings, Smithsonian complex, SCOTUS etc., where the people meet to conduct the nation’s business. It would be an island within the new state.

ETA: oops, I see @the_borderer and @jerwin beat me to the point about the district.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Speaking of the Civil War, you should maybe look up what the Union capital that the Confederate armies kept campaigning against was. The answer won’t surprise most people, but apparently might surprise you?

6 Likes

Jody Hice, who tried to overturn the election, wants to be in charge of Georgia’s elections - Vox

Well, this won’t end well…

13 Likes

that article is nice and nerdy. it sounds like the bill actually has some provisions to handle those three electoral votes. and, like so many things would be easier to solve if the republican hold on the senate was broken

2 Likes