Rep. Jody Hice (R-GA) against D.C. becoming a state because it's "without a car dealership"

Christ, what an asshole.

5 Likes

Doubt they would notice the difference. Without counting, which one is the current flag, and the new 51 states flag?

9 Likes

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/store/dccitycenter

4 Likes

Imagine what that would do to the trade deficit.

3 Likes

The Pentagon City Metro stop in Washington, D.C., helps Lockheed Martin sell itself to the warrior class. (Photo by: Stephanie Westbrook) (source)

minor quibble: Pentagon City is in Virginia, and despite the name, it’s more of a commercial district)

6 Likes

Well hopefully he’ll support the HR to “de-state” Wyoming and return it to a territory status, since it so obviously has no business being in the Union.

1 Like

That airport is in Arlington, VA.

“If there’s a car dealership in D.C., I apologize for being wrong. I have no idea where it is.”

On issue after issue, this is the Republican strategy for making arguments: say something dumb without even knowing if it’s true or not (and, frankly, not caring if it’s true or not because the truth doesn’t matter). I was just hearing about Ron Johnson arguing that global warming isn’t new because Greenland used to be green; when people pointed out that isn’t why it’s called that, his “defense” was something along the lines of, ‘well, I don’t know anything about it, I just assumed that.’

That’s a hell of a thing - to have elected representatives arguing for positions that impact the future of us all, while acknowledging they don’t know what they’re talking about and couldn’t be bothered to find out (because what do they care?).

16 Likes

Naw we’ll just dump Florida

3 Likes

Look, fair’s fair - as a cost saving measure, we can combine North and South Dakota into one state so we have the same number of stars. We can throw in Wyoming, too, if needed.

7 Likes

Everybody knows it’s DC’s airport. It’s owned and maintained by the US Gov, as is Dulles. It’s the personal hub of Congress critters.

2 Likes

No landfill? I’m pretty sure that that’s where congress is (and can we really argue that that’s not a shitty dump?)

1 Like

It no longer especially annoys me when a member of the Fascists says something stupid; it’s like they are in a contest of some sort, trying to out-do each other. ‘Owning the Libs’, I think they call it, It would be amusing if it wasn’t so pathetic…
But these people are Congressional Representatives for cryin out loud & just look at this guy:
crappy suit, NO TIE, no mask.
Yeah, I get that this is probablly part of this goober’s shtick to the rubes back home- “Lookit me! I’m just like y’all!”… but I would expect that someone with among the most important jobs in the country to show up to work Properly Attired, instead of waltzing in like some Wino at a cheap buffet.

Pelosi should strictly enforce the Dress Code (including properly wearing masks at all times), as well as requiring everyone to pass thru the metal detectors.
/end rant

7 Likes

Big news day for this dum-dum.

7 Likes

The Boston Globe, as liberal as almost any large newspaper in the US, explained on 6/21/2020 that article I, section 8, of the US Constitution:
“The Founding Fathers wrote it into the Constitution. Article I, Section 8 provides explicitly for a national capital that would not be part of a state nor treated as a state, but rather a unique enclave under the exclusive authority of Congress — a neutral “district” in which representatives of all the states could meet on an equal footing to conduct the nation’s business.
Not being citizens of a state, the district’s residents wouldn’t elect their own members of Congress. But that didn’t mean they were condemned to ‘taxation without representation.’ Jonathan Turley, a George Washington University law professor, testified at a 2007 congressional hearing that the framers of the Constitution ‘repeatedly stated that the district would be represented by the entire Congress and that members . . . would bear a special interest in its operations.’”

Source: The Constitution says no to DC statehood - The Boston Globe https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/21/opinion/constitution-says-no-d

Of all the arguments out there against D.C. statehood that could be used, this is the hill this guy chooses to die on?

(And, don’t get me wrong, I’m 100% behind D.C. statehood – I’m just calling out that there’s plenty of arguments you could call upon to try to debate this in an educated fashion based on the actual text of the Constitution. Not some imaginary “dealership clause”.)

6 Likes

That was one of the complaints about Jeremy Corbyn. I never considered that argument to have merit.

OK, I take that back.

8 Likes

The current proposal is to shrink the District of Columbia to just the federal buildings, and name the new state Washington, Douglass Commonwealth. That doesn’t violate the US Constitution.

16 Likes

tell that to eleanor norton. she’s the elected representative of dc – yes, she doesn’t get a vote – but she is a member of congress and lobbies on their behalf.

9 Likes

“I’ll take ‘Stunning Examples of Petronormative Bullshit’ for 800, Alex.”

3 Likes