Report: British ISP provides real-time user data to copyright lawyers

Originally published at: Report: British ISP provides real-time user data to copyright lawyers | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Running a VPN, I guess they’ll still know you are pumping some bits through the pipe, but can’t see what you’re looking at. But they can still correlate it to a match that’s going on. That’s just a guess, at best, I’d think.

There was an article a few days back about ISPs “selling” what is known as “flow data” to third parties. It was sworn that wouldn’t happen.

How could you tell they were lying? Their lips were moving.

3 Likes

Fairly sure that this is a valid reason for such heavy monitoring - while I don’t necessarily agree with the mechanic of pay-to-view TV (I live in the UK where a TV licence is required in order to watch terrestrial TV, this means that an enforced subscription is placed on anyone who owns a device which is capable of receiving a live stream or can record or otherwise access an on-demand service from the BBC [British Broadcasting Corporation]. Essentially this equates to a subscription service which is paid for prior to any other subscription a user may have such as Netflix or Amazon Prime etc - in real life this means that I have to pay for a TV licence, pay for a subscription to Sky and then pay an additional subscription to Sky for the privilege of watching Formula One races for example.).
The problem in this case is the monetary mechanic put in place by the multiple holders of the licence to show the footage of the event in question - not the poor person on the other end of the equation who simply wants to watch an event they can’t physically attend.
From a legal standpoint, it is incumbent on an ISP to provide details of possible copyright infringements to a court of law upon request, however, to refer back to the previous example I made regarding the requirements to be met in order to watch a single F1 race, why would any sane person pay three separate fees in order to watch a single race - I would quite happily go on record as stating that I will absolutely use an illegal source to watch an event which would otherwise force me to pay an exorbitant sum of money to multiple vendors for the same privilege.

Again, just to be clear, legally speaking this is all actually ok, Sky can and should report any possible copyright infringements but the manner in which the copyright is held needs to be brought into question - not the poor sap who is simply trying to watch a match/race/fight or whatever.

Rant over.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.