Report: no touchbar for redesigned 2021 MacBook Pro

I love my 2019 MBP. Except for the fucking Touch Bar. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 times I actually got some “this is cool” functionality out of it. Most of the time it just gets in my way and slows me down because I’m forced to look down at the keyboard because I can’t rely on muscle memory.

Thank goodness Apple is 86ing it.

While I’m not going to be upgrading any time soon (I’m planning on keeping my laptop for the next 5 years at minimum) this makes me happy to hear.

1 Like

If Apple doesn’t make the cable that goes from the laptop to the power adapter user replaceable this time around, I’m going to be really pissed. Having to throw out an entire power supply because of something that’s been a known point of failure for 15 years is inexcusable, and the reason I roll my eyes at Apple any time they try to claim any kind of environmentalist clout.

3 Likes

The only bright spot in the USB-C generation of Macs is that the power adapter connects with a two-ended USB-C cable. This actually saved my bacon on a loaner machine because the other thing about USB-C means no more magsafe. The laptop fell, landed on the cable, and snapped the connector off.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I have that large of an office to support, but 90% of those mice failed within 6 months for us. I was shocked when I noticed the couple guys still had working ones instead of the replacements I bought everyone.

I have zero use for the emoji bar, and it does nothing for me.

my most frequent use of function buttons, or the touch bar is adjusting volume. The touch bar sequence of hitting the volume icon and then moving a slider is a total pain in the ass, compared to simply jabbing at the volume up or volume down buttons. There is nothing else that the Touch Bar does well for me that would be worth this lousy volume function.

3 Likes

They have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nah, it’ll be RISC-V: no royalties at all on that ISA, and more hipster cool than even PowerPC.

3 Likes

I’ve got a late 2013 MBP and a 2017 MBP.

2013: Love the ports - hate the keyboard - Hate the anti-glare screen coating (replaced once)
2017: Love the keyboard (when it’s not broken) - hate the ports

The only moment of my day when I love the Touch Bar is while I’m running Shadow and playing No Man’s Sky.

Currently, my 2017 MBP is in route to some random eastern EU country for an upper case replacement - Left control, shift, alt keys decided to digest several years of dust and grime and a few poorly held martinis - and thanks to Brexit it will take weeks. Same diet for the 2013 MBP, but it seems to be just fine.

My wife and I transitioned all our personal and business infrastructure to Apple years ago. We have not been disappointed until only recently. Their products seem to be more style than substance. Fragility has become a measured feature - WTF? If the next release of products continues the same path, we will likely switch back to a menagerie of windows products.

Please Apple, get you S#!+ together!

Meanwhile my 2011 27" iMAC seems to be reliable, upgradable, and rather dependable - although it’s getting long in the tooth and a bit slow on some apps.

1 Like

A few months ago, work upgraded me to a touchbar MacBook Pro. I’m still training myself to use CTRL-[ in Vim, because at least 50% of the time that I try to hit the touchbar’s esc, I miss or it otherwise doesn’t register and I end up entering :w or similar gubbins in my code.

4 Likes

My last one lasted 3 years and then the butterfly keyboard started failing, and the welded-in battery started bulging to the point the unit rocked on the desk. Fortunately my company pays for it; I would never buy their overpriced junk along with the hundreds of dollars of dongles that are required to make it function.

1 Like

I got them to replace the power cord on my now aging 2013 Macbook Pro for this reason (albeit at a different spot). The guy at the Apple Store gave me a dirty look.

I told him, look, I’m notoriously easy on laptops. I use them more like desktops. If the cable frays in less than three years when I use it like that, Apple should be replacing it. It’s either crap design or crap material.

I still have that Macbook Pro (shitty keyboard and all) and this among recent changes sound encouraging; I might upgrade it after all.

1 Like

Yep. Just as soon as I buy a $2,500 MacBook Pro… they come out with a new one that gets rid of all the incredibly stupid features I’m now stuck with.

There was a time, my children, when companies test-marketed their bad designs… BEFORE selling them to the public.

Next time I will listen to the smart people… and buy a refurbished model… that’s shown the test of time.

4 Likes

Same here. I had the one with the touch bar all the way across and the terrible keyboard and replaced it with the one with the physical escape key and better keyboard. I now kind of like the touch bar. One thing I particularly like is that in Zoom meetings there is a mute/unmute button in the touch bar.

1 Like

It’s a friendship cable. We used to give those to each other in fourth grade.

2 Likes

were those actually his decisions though, or was it some idiot PM who decided to remove ports and add a stupid touchbar, then he just designed around the bad decisions?

the new systems utilize ram in a completely different way and more doesn’t make as big of difference.

1 Like

“I’ll trade you a purple lighting cable for a red USB-C.”

1 Like

The only reason I wanted one was for the Tamagotchi you could get to live in the Touch Bar.

2 Likes

It’s the black OLED stripe above the built in keyboard, which I rarely use thanks to my external keyboard