Report: Replacing cops with healthcare pros working in Denver

Originally published at: Report: Replacing cops with healthcare pros working in Denver | Boing Boing

9 Likes

More funding for this kind of intervention, less for cops. I believe there’s a term for that…

33 Likes

this is probably why the republican governor of my state, texas, demanded the upcoming legislature forbid localities from moving police funding to social workers or health care professionals to strike a blow against “defunding the police”.

15 Likes

Don’t say it! The tone tr0lls are sleeping, do not wake them…

And also, this is awesome news!

13 Likes

Yep, this is the point where it stops being about results (the outcomes of mental health crises) and becomes about imperatives (policing threats to the public irrespective of outcomes). This program’s success strips the authorities of the claim that police are needed to get to the best outcome. But they never cared about the best outcomes in the first place. They care about policing people.

25 Likes

oh, yeah, all of this.

greg abbott, like almost every republican i’ve ever known or heard from, is much more interested in punishment than justice. or best practices.

17 Likes

Wait, so you’re telling me that helping people in need has the side effect of helping people in need? What will they think of next?

21 Likes

If you want your mind blown, how about addressing homelessness by actually … giving people homes?

23 Likes

Hmm, the good guys with guns were the bad guys with guns all along. :thinking:

11 Likes

So, if we extrapolate for a year, that’s ~1500 incidents…
Think of all the arrests that were thwarted, with the corresponding loss of bail money, attorney fees, cop pay, etc. Over time, the job-loss will be staggering!
This will never do!
Gotta keep that PIC humming along & keep the peonage in their place, after all.

2 Likes

This! Restricting housing until those that need it jump through religious hoops, go through drug/alcohol programs really miss the boat.

3 Likes

Data from programs across the world supporting the decriminalization of drugs and focus on addiction treatment clearly show that those programs work much better than arrest and prison, but that’s not much of a focus here in the States…

I wonder why? I also wonder how much private, for profit, prison businesses donate to political campaigns and police beneficial societies…

5 Likes

I know you’re arguing it’s because of vested interests but honestly, looking from the outside, I’d say it’s also very much because of American exceptionalism. So many times political debates are conducted in the US as if clear evidence that certain things work or don’t work in other countries simply didn’t exist.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.