Request list to be deleted from partially, welcome thread, lounge archive

No wuckas. :slight_smile:

No need for that eh.

Imma miss some of the stuff there. And not just the personal shit either. Haircare advice. Photoshop tricks. Recipes.
But it’s gone. Let it die… and use the ashes as fertilizer.

7 Likes

Everything I typed here I already consented to having included. For better or worse, there were no stipulations that this meant that the data was collected by a specific person, or on a specific computer.

YOU GRANT US THE RIGHT TO USE YOUR STUFF

By submitting User Content, you grant us an unlimited license to use your content in any way we choose. This includes creative uses such as republishing the work on our ad-supported Website, forums, and elsewhere, and practical uses such as copying your content to make back ups of it, displaying it on the website, and distributing and modifying it as needed to make the Site work.

Because our servers are located remotely, and because User Content is retained indefinitely, you grant us these rights worldwide and irrevocably, and agree that we don’t owe you royalties for any use of your content based on these rights.

YOU GRANT THE COMMUNITY THE RIGHT TO REUSE YOUR STUFF

Further, when you make User Content available on Boing Boing, you grant the world a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License to it. Be mindful of this when you post.

2 Likes

If there is an archive, please delete me from it. Danke.

6 Likes

Ditto. I already have my posts archive. My contributions aren’t needed on others.

5 Likes

i have posts in the various lounge threads ranging from pleas for ideas to deal with situations and issues in my life to hybrid virtual/real world christmas gifts to some of my favorite members. i am personally delighted by the fact that something of me still remains in your archive and i have no objections to you holding on to those posts.

5 Likes

My posts can stay; if it matters. Not a problem for me.

What this looks like to me is this: a community denied a chance to say goodbye slowly coming to terms over the course of the day. Whether the archive grabbed helped or hurt I don’t know; it’s my firm belief it was done as an attempt to help provide that closure, so I certainly don’t hold it’s maker in any ill will.

9 Likes

It looks like a Festivus miracle to me.

This, exactly.

8 Likes

Studying the csv suggests that I didn’t really post much in the lounge-- though I did read stuff like the Mormonism thread-- and that was interesting.

All you radicals might have a hard time forgiving me for this, but my reaction might best described as a conservative one-- an irrational pining for what was lost…

That doesn’t mean that others haven’t been objectively harmed by the loss of this resource, but for me, it’s a more of a feeling that we have all been “put on notice”. A chill in the air.

1 Like

[quote=“tinoesroho, post:47, topic:99253”]
Is that what everybody wants?[/quote]
What everybody wants is for the events of the last couple of days to not have happened. (And when I say “everybody” of course I mean excepting those who caused them to happen in the first place.)

As for the archive: when the decision to close the lounges was announced, a whole bunch of people started fretting over lost access to information (gifs, links, pithy comments) stored there. I understand (and mainly agree with) the arguments against the lounge posts being archived, but honestly @tinoesroho thought he was doing a service that many people requested, and there should be some appreciation for that effort instead of the immediate massive vilification.

15 Likes

13 Likes

Let’s make it an even ten and call it done.

7 Likes

As long as we’re asking how about the last 12 months?

I could totally go for a total ‘do over.’

8 Likes

I’ll take fifty years if we’re on do-overs. Might get it right this time. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think I posted much in the lounge, but anyone who wishes to preserve my inane ramblings unaltered has my permission to do so.

Thank you @tinoesroho for your efforts to help out our friends. I don’t think it’s a good idea, but it has an honorable motivation.

8 Likes

I’m sorry you see it like that and maybe feeling hurt by such.

It was totally not my intention of this topic. And If I read trough it, I don’t see it. From the first posts I see people mentioning the good intentions, but also saying: “No I don’t want to be in such an archive”. During the discussion it gets indeed a bit heated, as I see it it was more frustration about the feeling not getting trough and/or been listened to.
Getting trough about the privacy concerns. It could have been friendlier , but still no “massive vilification”. Just honest concerns and frustration.
If people feel like that, giving a thanks is a bit difficult, all the mentioning seeing the good intention is not a bad score.

[edit]
And it is all heated, and like @Melizmatic said, it’s a bad time to lash out to people.
But again, such was not my intention. And I don’t see much of that above, unless saying “No, please don’t” is lashing out. In all the heat people jump to things. To keep at this topic:

One goes into grabbing, with well intentions, other people semi private data. To be shared semi public.

And I went fighting windmills. Knowing it was just the last part op the welcoming chat from the lounge. Going full fledged into the privacy discussion “Its not about the content of the data, it’s about consent. opt-in or opt-out. Possible risk to privacy breaches when such data is stored at more servers/computers than the discourse ones. And such.”.

5 Likes

I’m not hurt, it’s no skin off my nose either way.

2 Likes

I, Katryn, opt out of my lounge posts being archived, please and thank-you.

6 Likes

Can I just request that the pics I posted of me doing vodka shots with Trump and Putin be deleted?

The ones of me, Putin, and Flynn can stay; I think the Times has those already, anyway.

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.