Rescued cruise passenger "woke up" in the ocean without the ship, says he didn't know how he got there

Originally published at: Rescued cruise passenger "woke up" in the ocean without the ship, says he didn't know how he got there | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Grimes, who was on the five-day cruise to Cozumel with 18 members of his family, did admit to drinking but said he has no recollection at all of how he managed to fall off the ship.

13 Likes

“Infested” is kind of harsh—that’s where they live, man. How would you feel if a shark came to visit your area and started complaining about “human-infested cities?”

38 Likes

I’m OK with that phrase.

34 Likes

thank you for that.
sharks are cool.

19 Likes

he has no recollection at all of how he managed to fall off the ship.

Kind of surprised these cruise ships don’t have CCTV on external decks.

6 Likes

And outrigger safety nets a la Foxconn to catch stumblers.

4 Likes

But you sadly need to if you’re going to pull off an air guitar solo sick enough to win the contest.

7 Likes

What’s wrong with water sharks have put money in? Probably cleaner, maybe a few extra seals.

3 Likes

Trust me they do. They’ve got cameras all over the damn place. Whether they were recording or happened to catch this particular spot where he went overboard is another matter. As the article implies, it’s extremely difficult to “accidentally” fall overboard.

We just came off of a 12 day cruise ourselves and I made a point to note every time I noticed a CCTV housing. Just about every inch of public space with the exception of our stateroom veranda was covered by a camera in one way or another.

10 Likes

The first thing that crossed my mind was Ambien. Taken alone is bad enough; taken after a night of drinking would definitely cause blackout behavior.

8 Likes

Wait, riptides? How in the world are there riptides in the middle of the ocean? By definitely, they require a shallow area.

14 Likes

Yeah, I’m not disputing that it was a harrowing experience, but the language is definitely looking for a TV movie or something.
“Battling jellyfish,” also seems hyperbolic. More like enduring them, if anything. It’s not as if they swoop in like raptors or anything. You just get caught up in a cloud of them, if you’re unlucky. And try to drift away from them.

15 Likes

Just as he battled the open ocean, he’s battling his receding hairline. With the mother of all comb-forwards.

3 Likes

Humans are a bit of an invasive species and do a lot of damage when they move into a new environment. The description would be apt.

6 Likes

“shark-invested water”

Apparently there aren’t just Wolves on Wall Street.

Edit @sqlrob

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2)

3 Likes

They may be spineless, but they’re still tough in a fight.

Also, Diana Nyad apparently had to quit her 2011 attempt at swimming from Cuba to Florida due largely to jellyfish stings. (In her successful follow-up she wore a special mask for protection) You want hyperbolic? Check this out:

6 Likes

Nominative determinism?

10 Likes

like a water sprite?
that would be cool!

4 Likes

I see you’ve never been to Australia. :slight_smile:

4 Likes