Woman who fell off cruise ship treaded water for 10 hours before being rescued

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/woman-who-fell-off-cruise-ship.html

7 Likes

11 Likes

trod???

11 Likes

I would also accept “træχ”

6 Likes

Perhaps “Trode”?

8 Likes

flollop or vollue

5 Likes

has trodden

2 Likes

Is there supposed to be a link? Let’s get a link.

10 Likes

Hey, this is just the plot of that one Magnum P.I. episode.

It’s like the writers aren’t even trying anymore.

9 Likes

Was thinking the same thing, but she was actually the third person to fall off a Norwegian Cruise ship this year

Edit: Fourth for NCL this year, and apparently there have been 17 total.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

I guess that is not too crazy, given that some percentage of cruise passengers are likely to attempt suicide, but it seems like a lot of accidents happen too. One more reason I have no desire to take a cruise.

6 Likes

Whatta dame!

5 Likes

I have no doubt that was the most exciting part of her cruise.

6 Likes

simple past participle (US) treaded water or (UK) trod water

My spellcheck in Chrome doesn’t like “treaded”, even though I use a US dictionary. I think Wiktionary and I’m right, and Chrome and @bobtato are wrong.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered how long I could tread water, but I’m willing to forego the quantification process.

4 Likes

I don’t think I could do so very long espeically with my shit leg. But I can do a dead mans float, assuming the seas are fairly calm.

2 Likes

I think the answer is always: till you die (given the scenario).

9 Likes

That more or less is the answer to everything, right?

5 Likes

I recall that was the time-standard for the training task “Deploy your reserve parachute when your main fails to correctly deploy” after jumping out of a perfectly good airplane while in flight.

Or, as the instructors archly declared, “You have the rest of your life to complete this task.”

10 Likes

Is there a psychological condition that makes people want to jump from high places into rushing water? A little voice that say “jump”? For normally non depressed/suicidal people?
I knew a guy that worked Niagara falls and said they could spot some people that get a glazed over look in there eyes and start walking towards the edge. "the pull’ he called it.
EDIT:
A min after I posted I googled how many people kill themselves at Niagara and came up with this

and that guy describes it as a ‘pull’

7 Likes

Sometimes there are a few voices:

WonderFalls

3 Likes