Rest of imploded deep-sea sub found, with "presumed" human remains

I confess to a morbid curiosity as to what remains could, well, remain. At the time it sounded like the conclusion was that they’d basically have been instantly atomized when the sub imploded.

1 Like

I’d really rather they not.

If they turn out to be inhuman remains, we could have a CODE BLUE HADES scenario.

Step 1: Remove all the wadded-up football socks from Brainspore’s mouth.

… also, built an ellipsoid not a cylinder

3 Likes

Atomized is probably overstating it; they’d be more or less fully pulped, but a lot of people seem to think they’d have been burned by the high temperature caused by the implosion, not realizing that those temperatures would last for milliseconds and thus not transfer all that much actual energy. My guess is we’re talking about teeth and bone fragments, maybe medical implants if anyone had them. The soft tissue is likely all gone, dispersed through the water and/or eaten by scavengers. Maybe some ligaments or hair were left behind.

Carbon fibre is cheaper than titanium or steel and is extremely strong

Worth reiterating that carbon fiber is specifically strong in tension. Want to have high pressure inside separated from low pressure outside? Pretty great stuff, although fatigue is still a factor. It’s not all that strong in compression. It’s the difference between trying to pull a loop of string apart and trying to crumple it into a ball. It helps the resin a little since it still wants to resist motion, but not nearly as well.

4 Likes

I’m no materials scientist, but it strikes me that the correct mental model for the Titan’s hull is maybe not so much “carbon fiber” as “fiber-reinforced epoxy”. I certainly wouldn’t want to plumb the depths in a bubble made of glue.

4 Likes

Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

2 Likes

I’d be okay with that, but going before I even know I’m leaving would be a reasonable substitute. Though getting me into some startup’s homemade submarine might be problematic.

Absolutely, and true for 99% of what gets referred to as carbon fiber.

3 Likes

“Congratulations, you just discovered why we don’t build deep-sea submarines out of fiberglass.”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.