Rest of imploded deep-sea sub found, with "presumed" human remains

Originally published at: Rest of imploded deep-sea sub found, with "presumed" human remains | Boing Boing

5 Likes

New end of life goal: do not die in a way that would cause a forensic examiner to use the phrase “presumed human remains.”

38 Likes

I was just thinking about the Titan Sub yesterday when I was waist deep in wallowing about Israel/Palestine news. It seems like a simpler time, when the moral of the Top Story of The Day was, “don’t be a libertarian asshole who scoffs at regulation” rather than “Humans apparently can’t fucking handle a situation this “complex” and the blood with continue to flow. A time machine would be nice, but it’s unclear that that would even help.”

11 Likes

You don’t have to travel.

31 Likes

Nope.

I used to have big exit plans that involved a motorcycle, a bridge, and an obscene quantity of psychedelics. I’ve scaled back as I’ve gotten older; these days the only thing I want someone to say when gazing upon my unlovely, wizened corpse is, “Oh my, he looks so peaceful.”

18 Likes

That is a better dream, far cheaper, and easily achievable by simply not being a dick.

:hugs:

16 Likes

Let’s hear it for achievable goals!

20 Likes

And yet, so many people fail.

11 Likes

Well, there’s a spectrum. (A dicktrum? Maybe not.)

And I think there’s a section in the handbook about not self-certifying where you fall on the spectrum, but actively trying not to be a dick is a good start.

7 Likes

What’s the US Coast Guard/US Navy’s reason for involvement in this? (Other than Rich People.)

4 Likes

The Navy kinda has a thing about submarines and submersibles and stuff, and how to locate them.

11 Likes

Oh there are days when I fail. None of us are perfect. But at least the scale of my dickishness doesn’t result is multiple deaths. Or any deaths. Or even serious injury, so far.

6 Likes

Ah yes, Test Our Toys.

3 Likes

I kind of hope to go in such a way that the mortician has to worry about how they’re going to wipe the smirk off my face before the viewing.

15 Likes

Has anyone calculated the cost of the titanium tube that they should have used, to make this thing not fail?

5 Likes

That usually ends with the word “autoerotic” filled in the form. Followed by some particulars or other.

3 Likes

Expensive, but less than five human lives

7 Likes

I’m afraid what was really needed was a billionaire to cede authority to someone more knowledgeable. And that price tag is much higher.

9 Likes

Maybe it was someone’s lunch? Flatbread and sardines ?

2 Likes

“The purpose of the greased-up Twister mat is not clear, nor is it clear if the mat contributed to Brainspore’s untimely demise.”