Restaurant wants to make Yelp unreliable

I know at least one chef that supports this idea

6 Likes

Yelp violates my “dont trust anything I read on the internet” policy.

1 Like

I’ve written about 10 reviews on Yelp, all for businesses that I thought deserved praise for either really exceptional services or products. But I realize now that it didn’t really serve a purpose here in NYC where half of all reviews are fraudulent and the other half are hidden from public view. It was a good idea, but it simply cannot be trusted, even my own reviews.

1 Like

Yes to the utility of this, or something like this, when you’re not a local. Yelp has been immensely helpful to me when visiting the U.S., particularly with choosing restaurants. There were a couple of missteps, but it did help to find and decide on great places we would never know about from tourist guides and walking around unaided.

You haters try coming to Brazil and having to rely on Foursquare for recommendations.

Or it could be read as, “I’ve already got people who actually like me and if you are going to treat me like that then I don’t need you to be my friend.”

If no one liked them they probably wouldn’t be in business. Yelp’s threatening letter was absurd and I thought their response was a very good reminder to Yelp that it has no power over them. Maybe they will go out of business because they are rude or arrogant or because they make bad food or set their prices badly. I don’t know, but I don’t think that slagging Yelp is the equivalent of taking your ball and going home.

The restaurant where I had my wedding ceremony and reception I nearly didn’t even consider because their online reviews were a real mixed bag. It was only because a co-worker had her wedding there and raved about the service that I decided to give it a go. The owner was just a doll to us and we were really happy with everything.

Recently it appears that the owner has flooded the review sites with obviously fake positive reviews - I assume that he has paid someone to do this - so that at the very least the reviews are obviously unreliable. I once brought up the issue of his reviews with the owner and he winced; it was a sore spot.

I feel really bad for him, people in New York will complain about every little slight, and are quick to go on and whine about problems but not very eager to be helpful. Most of the restaurants up here have lower ratings than they deserve. it’s sad that this nice small business is being affected by it.

Obligatory:

2 Likes

Sounds like that restaurant wasn’t worth working at anyway, if that’s what management thinks of its workers!

Seriously, the horror stories I hear about working in small business environments like that – people get unceremoniously dismissed for reasons that would never fly at a bigger company that had an HR dept.

"By entering this establishment you agree to be filmed in excruciating detail.

Inaccurate reviews on Yelp will result in a law suit and eventual public posting of the video."

“NB: Do not fuck with us.”

Didn’t have any of those, but there was one kid who insisted, in all seriousness, that he had never farted in his life.

Emphasis added!
Such tools are brilliant; only this weekend, Tripadvisor took me (a Brit tourist) to a decent Italian restaurant in NYC I wouldn’t otherwise have found, and mightn’t have visited if I’d have happened to be passing, so both the customer and the restaurant benefited.

But praise for this type of site obviously isn’t praise for Yelp, and it’s hard-sell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.