Restflix thinks it’s cracked the code to a good night’s sleep and is now on sale for 50% off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/02/restflix-thinks-its-cracked.html

If you are broke because of Covid, try the Relaxing White Noise YouTube channel. 10 hour white noise vids with rain, plains, space, oceans, etc.

9 Likes

This gives me all sorts of profitable ideas, just need to find a venture capitalist:

• Angstflix - for those times when life is too uneventful
  • Catflix - you know
  • Pisflix - for effortless urination
  • BoingBoingflix - like Home Shopping Network but for “wonderful things”
  • Toothflix - for proper dental hygiene
  • Socksflix - it’s about socks
  • Nowflix - what’s happening right this very minute
13 Likes

I’m replying to your reply right now!

3 Likes

There’s a couple of the binaural beats things that I have found help me sleep. I don’t believe any of the woo that the particular frequencies do this or that beneficial thing.

Part of it is the binaural part, the regular rhythm, but also they have odd, barely perceptible sounds mixed in. I think they tend to blend together with the other sounds from outside and inside the house, and keep them from being distinct enough to wake me.

This is the one I like:

4 Likes

Two thoughts:

1. This is some thick pseudoscience BS right there. “Binaural beats” etc is all nonsense. There’s nothing wrong with relaxing sounds. Stop there. That’s enough to be a helpful product.

2. They are definitely gettin’ sued out of existence. A video service with name and graphical style intentionally cribbed from Netflix? Come on, kick a bear why don’t you.

BB Shop sure can pick ‘em

13 Likes

Sueflix
See? Inspiration is everywhere

10 Likes

You’ll be hearing from my attorneys.

8 Likes

Inspiraflix

3 Likes

Shitflix

(Pretty sure that’s where I watched my latest awfully guilty pleasure, “Shanty Tramp.”)

4 Likes

Do they guarantee that my legs won’t go to sleep while sitting and watching?

3 Likes

Bidetflix.

4 Likes

sounds a lot like some of the demos which come with this program
https://sonic-pi.net/
{ despite the name , runs fine on windows as well }

1 Like

Having trouble sleeping? Have you tried blasting light and noise into your room?
Wait, wait! Hear me out: it costs money.

10 Likes

I like that the headline writers are covering their asses. Not has cracked the code. Thinks it has cracked the code.

3 Likes

3 Likes

As a sleep scientist, this product alarmed me. Two points from the scientific literature:
1- binaural beats have a minimal or no effect on insomnia; for example, doi: 10.1097/JCP.0000000000001097
2- Sleep hygiene guidelines universally recommend not being near screens in the hours leading to bedtime (this is also an important component of modern clinical insomnia treatment, i.e., CBT-I).
Conclusion: not only has this product not “cracked the code to a good night’s sleep”, but our current understanding of sleep indicates that it may actually be harmful to sleep.

14 Likes

Thank you. And welcome to BoingBoing!

4 Likes

Stick around @realPhil, the Boing Boing Shop will keep you realBusy, science is not their strong suit. And welcome!

6 Likes

This is my favorite source for sleep-inducing soundscapes, as well as background sounds for reading, working, meditating, etc:

There are lots of sounds for free, but for a token subscription fee of whatever-you-want (I chip in every now and then out of guilt, because I use the site so much) you get access to to the whole site. It’s really fantastic. Every soundscape is totally customizable. Can’t recommend it enough.

3 Likes